Cloudflare shows the real IP

Hello,

I installed a Test-Forum with Cloudflare. No Addons or changes yet. And i noticed, that Cloudflare shows my real User IP in the Forum. I thought that Cloudflare overwrite the IP`s with the Cloudflare IP? The Server IP is hiden, but not the User IP. Is this new with XenForo 1.5.13?

Cloudflare won't pass a users IP to your server unless you explicitly set it, is my understanding. Has this changed?

Apache requires mod_cloudflare and NGINX requires the real_ip_header to nginx.conf.

Cloudflare won't pass a users IP to your server unless you explicitly set it, is my understanding. Has this changed?

Apache requires mod_cloudflare and NGINX requires the real_ip_header to nginx.conf.
That cannot change, if you are using Cloudflare reverse proxy.

Cloudflare is communicating with your servers, not the client directly (client connects to Cloudflare reverse proxy). It sends the client IP in the headers, so you can set it as the real IP either in the application or, preferably, the web server.

I suspect the OP is not using Cloudflare's reverse proxy feature, or unknowingly has support added in the web server. Either that, or XenForo recently added replacing the client IP with certain headers that tend to contain the client IP.

Top Bottom