0.7 core
3GB memory

Apache v2.2.29
PHP 5.4.39
MySQL 5.5.42

Two XF sites.
Site 1 Averages: 125 members and 200 guests (30 mins) 250 member daily
Site 2 Averages: 25 members and 75 guests (30 mins) 45 members daily

One vBulletin 4 site: 5 members and 25 guests (30 mins)
One site running ad server software serving to all 3 sites.

I would say something along the lines of 2 cores with 4GB RAM would be ok. Depends also on other factors too, how optimized your MySQL is, control panel used etc.

I'd say that's more than enough. The CPU you're allowed is a little odd, and perhaps slightly low if things start to get busy, but you shouldn't have any problems with that setup.

Using WHM/cPanel

I'd say that's more than enough. The CPU you're allowed is a little odd, and perhaps slightly low if things start to get busy, but you shouldn't have any problems with that setup.

@WSWD did you see the OP was using cPanel/WHM I'm no hosting expert but I don't think with the resources the OP has will efficiently run cPanel/WHM and be very good for running 3 different sites on it.

@WSWD did you see the OP was using cPanel/WHM I'm no hosting expert but I don't think with the resources the OP has will efficiently run cPanel/WHM and be very good for running 3 different sites on it.

I sure did. cPanel runs great on 1GB of RAM, and usually takes far less than that. That leaves at a minimum 2GB of RAM for everything else. Some of our shared cPanel servers with 100+ accounts never go over 4GB of RAM. In fact, I just checked 10 random servers, out of curiosity, and the most RAM in use is 6GB.

There really shouldn't be any difficulty with 3GB of RAM for those sites. As I said, the CPU is a little wonky, and that will likely be where the slowdown will occur, if any.

I sure did. cPanel runs great on 1GB of RAM, and usually takes far less than that. That leaves at a minimum 2GB of RAM for everything else. Some of our shared cPanel servers with 100+ accounts never go over 4GB of RAM. In fact, I just checked 10 random servers, out of curiosity, and the most RAM in use is 6GB.

There really shouldn't be any difficulty with 3GB of RAM for those sites. As I said, the CPU is a little wonky, and that will likely be where the slowdown will occur, if any.

I would definitely say the CPU amount is very odd to say the least. Like I said I am no expert I just don't think it will run very good mainly because of the CPU allowance.

cPanel/WHM would only be around 1GB (probably at most)... then the rest will be standard memory use. I agree with @WSWD, the processor will be the biggest issue, and if possible I would upgrade it to a 4GB setup just for general purposes.
The sites (by his stats) are not really that busy and shouldn't strain Apache at all.

And no, I'm not a hosting provider, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once. ;)

Install it all from shell. Why you need cPanel and random stuff on your server if you are just running your websites? cPanel is mostly made for shared hosting. aka Share hosting made easy.

If you plan to save money then better learn on how to install all from shell. Better way for long run.

Top Bottom