Clear Alerts

jmurrayhead

I do enjoy seeing that I have alerts. But, I don't always want to look at them right away. I, as with many others, I presume, have an obsession with making the alert icon go away.

My suggestion: Give us a quick and easy key combination to clear the alert. This way, those of us with this sick obsession don't have to move the mouse all the way over to the top right, open it and wait for it to clear.

Suggestion 2: Instead of a key combination, popup a little (unobtrusive) box in the lower-left or right side of the screen that notifies us of new alerts and gives us the option to clear them.

Budokai!

Upvote 0
I [...] have to move the mouse all the way over to the top right, open it and wait for it to clear.
Tell me about it!

I did a detailed study on this very subject and sent the data to a friend at the RAND Corporation, and according to his calculations I spend 8 seconds a month mousing over that damn alert link to make it go away. I can only speculate how much serious work I could do, how many lives I could save, in that minute and a half of wasted time each year.

So a big +1 on this, for sure. Something like Ctrl+Space+F7+Shift+Enter would cut that wasted time in half.

Get on it, lads. If you do nothing, the terrorists win.

Tell me about it!

I did a detailed study on this very subject and sent the data to a friend at the RAND Corporation, and according to his calculations I spend 8 seconds a month mousing over that damn alert link to make it go away. I can only speculate how much serious work I could do, how many lives I could save, in that minute and a half of wasted time each year.

So a big +1 on this, for sure. Something like Ctrl+Space+F7+Shift+Enter would cut that wasted time in half.

Get on it, lads. If you do nothing, the terrorists win.
I'm glad you see things my way. Ctrl+Space+F7+Shift+Enter is surely a better solution than CTRL+Shift+C, or some other combination that could be done with one hand :)

I think what your suggesting is a classic sign of "overkill" when it takes but a blink of an eye to mouse over the alert to make it disappear.

Takes longer than a blink on really wide screen ;)

Anyway, I think I'll just disable alerts instead :)

I'm using a widescreen (large) and it really takes a fraction of a second to reach it. TBH what your proposing will take longer to accomplish by the time you remove your hand from the mouse, hit the necessary keys and then putting your hand back on the mouse.

Mouseover route = A >>>>> Home
Key combination - A >>>stop at cafe >>>>stop at petrol station >>>> Home

I'm using a widescreen (large) and it really takes a fraction of a second to reach it. TBH what your proposing will take longer to accomplish by the time you remove your hand from the mouse, hit the necessary keys and then putting your hand back on the mouse.

Mouseover route = A >>>>> Home
Key combination - A >>>stop at cafe >>>>stop at petrol station >>>> Home
I guess I was looking at it from this point of view: when you first load a thread, you are briefly at the top of the page (where you might notice you have alerts), and then are taken to the next unread post. In a long thread, this involves scrolling to the top to clear alerts, where as a quick popup (kind of like the inline moderation tools) in the lower-right or left will allow you quickly clear the items.

As for the key combination, that's not always true. I'm the type that usually leaves one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse. So I can easily, with one hand enter a quick combination and I'm good.

Anyway...good points have been made so I have resorted to the following:
I think I'll just disable alerts instead :)

My suggestion: Give us a quick and easy key combination to clear the alert. This way, those of us with this sick obsession don't have to move the mouse all the way over to the top right, open it and wait for it to clear.

Suggestion 2: Instead of a key combination, popup a little (unobtrusive) box in the lower-left or right side of the screen that notifies us of new alerts and gives us the option to clear them.

Budokai!

I don't want to move my mouse to the bottom left of the screen.... :) I'm messing but to me it would take just as much effort pressing Ctrl+Space+F7+Shift+Enter then hoving over the alerts bar which is technically close to the bookmarks tool bar where my link is. To get to a website(unless it's your homepage) you have to be towards the top of the page anyways clicking on a bookmark or typing an address. Your method of the bottom makes zero sense with your argument.

Also... I have a 24" screen and use the fixed version of xenforo, looks better in my own opinion.

I don't want to move my mouse to the bottom left of the screen.... :) I'm messing but to me it would take just as much effort pressing Ctrl+Space+F7+Shift+Enter then hoving over the alerts bar which is technically close to the bookmarks tool bar where my link is. To get to a website(unless it's your homepage) you have to be towards the top of the page anyways clicking on a bookmark or typing an address. Your method of the bottom makes zero sense with your argument.
Ctrl+Space+F7+Shift+Enter was just mocking my suggestion. It would obviously be only two keys, that were close together for comfort. When did I ever mention going to any other website? I was talking about clicking a thread link (or similar) on the forum home page. Why would I need my bookmarks to navigate through XenForo?

Anyway, I have accepted a couple posts ago that my idea was stupid. Thanks :)

Also... I have a 24" screen and use the fixed version of xenforo, looks better in my own opinion.
Indeed, you are right. The thought hadn't crossed my mind.

Ctrl+Space+F7+Shift+Enter was just mocking my suggestion. It would obviously be only two keys, that were close together for comfort. When did I ever mention going to any other website? I was talking about clicking a thread link (or similar) on the forum home page. Why would I need my bookmarks to navigate through XenForo?

No idea is stupid, but... I'm the stupid one for not seeing the sarcasm/mockery in your key commands lol :)

BTW - In no shape or form do I personally think your idea is stupid, I don't agree with it granted but as for being stupid far from it. Any idea, suggestion is welcomed in my books personally though from time to time I may not agree with it, I may agree or I won't respond which means I'm not fussed eitherway. :)

BTW - In no shape or form do I personally think your idea is stupid, I don't agree with it granted but as for being stupid far from it. Any idea, suggestion is welcomed in my books personally though from time to time I may not agree with it, I may agree or I won't respond which means I'm not fussed eitherway. :)
No worries, I didn't take any criticism of my idea personally. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. :)

Top Bottom