Clean Hard Drive

=MGN=RedEagle

Hey guys,

I was moving all my data to some new 2tb disks and it seems they don't work. They take some data and then freeze. Once I have all the data I was able to move deleted, what should I do to protect the data that was once on there? I hear you can recover deleted data from a hard drive.

Try DBAN. You would have a few options such as writing 0's to the drive a few times. There is no 100% way of erasing all data from the hdd but that will help keep most prying eyes out. I think some of the few people that would be able to pull something off would be the FBI with their own recovery program. I hear it's pretty amazing compared to what us consumers can have our hands on.

Try DBAN. You would have a few options such as writing 0's to the drive a few times. There is no 100% way of erasing all data from the hdd but that will help keep most prying eyes out. I think some of the few people that would be able to pull something off would be the FBI with their own recovery program. I hear it's pretty amazing compared to what us consumers can have our hands on.
They are not Gods overthere.
Once the data's been overwritten with 0s and confirmed that they are really all 0s that's it.

I am afraid if I do this I can not bring it back for a refund.

They are not Gods overthere.
Once the data's been overwritten with 0s and confirmed that they are really all 0s that's it.
Just something I've heard from a friend on the inside. If you write them with 0's once, why is it suggested to do it a few more times before selling a hdd? It must mean the system is 100% perfect.

Just something I've heard from a friend on the inside. If you write them with 0's once, why is it suggested to do it a few more times before selling a hdd? It must mean the system is 100% perfect.

Despite what some conspiracy theorists claim, a simple 3 phrase write 0's 1's and back to 0's is enough for near 100% protection of data, and even then the recovery of such data would be under the highest levels of EMI of which few, if any non-government organisations could afford and would most likely be reserved for terrorist or top level intelligence recovery.

You may do two things:
#1 Overwrite it once and read it. Are they all 0s?
Yes: your drive is working properly all bits are 0s.
No: do it again and again or just throw it out..

#2 overwrite it twice with 0s.
Do not read it because you know that your drive is writing properly.
Maybe it does not work properly.

Top Bottom