Browser issue Chrome browser issue (old Chrome 22)

tommydamic68

Not sure if Xenforo supports older versions of Google Chrome but I had a member with the upload button, not even sure if it's an Xenforo, Chrome or style issue to be honest. Here is what she explained.

"If I inspect the button using developer tools, and manually go to the URL of the button in the browser instead of via clicking the button I can upload files.."

"But if I just click on the button, it doesn't do anything."

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 8.12.14 PM.webp

Why are they running a browser that is 15 versions behind the current?

Looks like it was released two years ago too.

Could he upgrade to see if the issue goes away?

With all due respect please tell your member to upgrade his browser. Imho XenForo nor any other software should do anything to be compatible with a browser version that old.

With all due respect please tell your member to upgrade his browser. Imho XenForo nor any other software should do anything to be compatible with a browser version that old.
I do agree that they should upgrade Chrome. However, XenForo does support a far older browser - IE8. Unfortunately some are stuck with that if they are still running Windows XP on a machine where the admins for that business refuse to install any other browser and can't upgrade the OS for business reasons (financial, legacy software compatability).

I do agree that they should upgrade Chrome. However, XenForo does support a far older browser - IE8. Unfortunately some are stuck with that if they are still running Windows XP on a machine where the admins for that business refuse to install any other browser and can't upgrade the OS for business reasons (financial, legacy software compatability).
Yeah, but this is not the case. Nothing prevents this user from upgrading his/her chrome version (unlike IE8, M$ prevents the users to install IE 9-11).

Yeah, but this is not the case. Nothing prevents this user from upgrading his/her chrome version (unlike IE8, M$ prevents the users to install IE 9-11).
If you read my post properly, you'll see that I do agree that the user should upgrade their browser. I was simply pointing out to the previous poster that XenForo does support an older browser and why. ;)

It is known, Mike has stated somewhere the reasons for supporting IE8. XenForo will continue IE8 support with all 1.x versions, though it may change for 2.0.
Can you please point me for the reasons?
It will change for sure in V2 since newer versions of Redactor don't support IE8

IE8 is still used in non-trivial levels.

In terms of Chrome though, there's really no reason to support anything other than the most recent (few) versions. It's fundamentally designed around auto-updating.

I guess its what they have installed at her job, so for what ever reason she cant upgrade it herself, similar to my job laptop, our IT guy is the only person with rights to upgrade, just a guess. Just thought I would ask for her - thanks.

Top Bottom