1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Check Password Strength

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Vincent, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

I'd like to suggest a feature that checks your password strength.

This (in my opinion) is a very good tool for that:

Try out the demo, type your password. It tells you in how many years your password can be cracked.

I think it would look cool in xenForo, gives it another modern touch.

Also it uses jquery, and xenForo uses that already :)
    Kevin, George, PeterT and 2 others like this.
  2. Karelke

Karelke Active Member

Ther're many tools for that of course. I prefer the method that Google is using for Gmail.
  3. Vincent

Meh, too default :D
  4. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

My current password for my forum is apparently "Forceable in 1931 years, 9 months" lol. Not sure how this works, I'm guessing it just goes from characters used, the script is assuming my password is a word in 'a' dictionary, which it's not :) My password is a jumble of random letters and numbers higher/lower case.
  5. Vincent

Wow :d
  6. rEd86

rEd86 Active Member

While it's neat to see the theoretical time it would take to break the password, I too am for the simpler approach like Google uses with Weak, Fair, Good, Strong feedback. Given XenForo initiates a CAPTCHA input after the fifth incorrect password, the days/years to break is irrelevant anyway. (not that I'm discouraging others from using this approach - it's personal preference and up to the site admin...)

Side note: [rant]I HATE when sites create extreme rules about passwords. Forcing someone to start with a Capital letter, have capital, lower case and numbers, etc is frustrating.[/rant]

7. Vincent

Is is not about admins having to set how strong it should be, this is just a pass strength tool
  8. rEd86

rEd86 Active Member

Which was why the comment was a "side note" - stream of consciousness based on talks about passwords.

9. Vincent

Yeah, just wanted to make sure :D
  10. George

George Active Member

I wouldn't want it to say how it will guess it to be cracked. I would rather like others have said have it like Google.

Just have Weak, Fair, Good, Strong feedback is all I would like to see.
  11. James

James Well-Known Member

I too would favour a simpler approach.

Having a piece of software telling me that my password can be cracked in X days/months/years doesn't make me feel very safe putting my password into that site ;)