• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest Check Password Strength

Vincent

Hello,

I'd like to suggest a feature that checks your password strength.

This (in my opinion) is a very good tool for that:
http://www.unwrongest.com/projects/password-strength/

Try out the demo, type your password. It tells you in how many years your password can be cracked.

I think it would look cool in xenForo, gives it another modern touch.

Also it uses jquery, and xenForo uses that already :)

JVCode

My current password for my forum is apparently "Forceable in 1931 years, 9 months" lol. Not sure how this works, I'm guessing it just goes from characters used, the script is assuming my password is a word in 'a' dictionary, which it's not :) My password is a jumble of random letters and numbers higher/lower case.

rEd86

I prefer the method that Google is using for Gmail.
While it's neat to see the theoretical time it would take to break the password, I too am for the simpler approach like Google uses with Weak, Fair, Good, Strong feedback. Given XenForo initiates a CAPTCHA input after the fifth incorrect password, the days/years to break is irrelevant anyway. (not that I'm discouraging others from using this approach - it's personal preference and up to the site admin...)

Side note: [rant]I HATE when sites create extreme rules about passwords. Forcing someone to start with a Capital letter, have capital, lower case and numbers, etc is frustrating.[/rant]

--Ed

George

I wouldn't want it to say how it will guess it to be cracked. I would rather like others have said have it like Google.

Just have Weak, Fair, Good, Strong feedback is all I would like to see.

James

I too would favour a simpler approach.

Having a piece of software telling me that my password can be cracked in X days/months/years doesn't make me feel very safe putting my password into that site ;)