Cheating in competitions

Ok thanks. Good to know someone can automatically be put in a usergroup.

So two things I'm trying to do - that is one of them. The other one is - I simply want to see who has voted for which option in a poll, as admin! I like the polling for competition voting - it's simple - they just tick a box. But admin can't see who voted for what. I've looked at the options for competition threads and they don't seem as simple as just ticking a box.

Surely it's possible to find a way for admin to see who voted for which option in a poll! Any suggestions welcome.

Quick question. When I set up the new usergroup, do I have to set all permissions again? The same as in the registered group - except for voting in polls and set that to yes instead of no? There doesn't seem to be the option to set everything to "inherit".

Also realised although it might work in the future, it won't help much at the moment as by the time the next competition ends those three dodgy users (or possibly one user with three accounts I'm not sure) will already meet the criteria.

I guess I could just turn off voting permissions for two of those three users.

It's giving me a headache!

The only "different' permissions you need to set are ones you want to grant (or deny) specifically.

And yes, once they are granted the promotion, they have it and will be able to "vote" if using simple criteria for a promotion. There's simply no getting around that fact.

Quick question. When I set up the new usergroup, do I have to set all permissions again?
Leave as they are except for the voting permission

See here:

I guess I could just turn off voting permissions for two of those three users.
You don’t just turn them off, ie instead of setting to no for those users, I to set them to never in order to override the yes. I would do this in a different usergroup for those users rather than individual permissions.

Alternatively:

Clicking the Manage promoted users button will allow you to view any previously promoted users and also manually apply or prohibit promotions to individual users.

But I have never tried that so not sure if it would apply to what you want

Last edited:
Thanks! One last question. So if I set the benchmark high for the new user group to keep out a few people until they prove themselves - is it possible to manually add others to the new use group when they are active and ok but not reaching the benchmark?

I guess that’s why you’re saying a possible separate user group for those particular members.

When I go to start a new user group - everything is set to no. That’s why I was asking because it’s a pain to have to keep going back to the registered user group to see what I set up and copy it across. If I just leave everything as no in the new user group (apart from setting voting to yes) - will the registered user group settings override that new user group?

I’m sure I’ll get the hang of this!

is it possible to manually add others to the new use group when they are active and ok but not reaching the benchmark?

Well, according to the manual it appears that you can do that in manage promotions. I've never tried it myself though.

That’s why I was asking because it’s a pain to have to keep going back to the registered user group to see what I set up and copy it across

You don't need to do that.
If I just leave everything as no in the new user group (apart from setting voting to yes) - will the registered user group settings override that new user group?

It's not so much one usergroup overriding another, it's about the individual permissions. The Yes to voting (in the new secondary group) overrides the the registered no. The registered yeses all override any nos in the new usergroup.

See the link to the manual I posted above:

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 17.10.37.webp

Honestly, if they're the same IP it means same user/computer/device. So, can't get more obviously cheating as is. For me that is proof enough to disqualify from contests. He MIGHT be asking his mom/dad/sister/dog to register using the same computer, it's still considered cheating. Same IP => double accounts. Disqualify.

Cheers! Decided to restrict two and only allow one, from that IP address. Presumably means setting up separate permissions for those two.

Honestly, if they're the same IP it means same user/computer/device. So, can't get more obviously cheating as is.
ODDS are it does... but not necessarily. I know of a local complex that provides ISP services to their occupants.... and their exteranl IP is the same, their internal IP's being 10.10.50.x configured. So you have at LEAST 30 people, several who know each other, all coming in from the same IP.

Top Bottom