Not a bug  Changing Usernames Issue

Gary

If the admin changes a users name for them, even after rebuilding everything in the database, it will still reflect that a post was made by the old username and not update it to the username. For example

The original post is made by Bob. It displays as:
Latest: The Title of the Thread
Bob, Friday at 1:30 PM

Bob has the admin to change his name to John. On site, it will still show:
Bob, Friday at 1:30 PM

However, if you open the thread it shows it is posted by John.

After the name has been changed and the forums rebuilt, shouldn't it show:
John, Friday at 1:30 PM

???

I believe I discussed this issue in the past and either Kier or Mike mentioned it worked as designed i.e after name changed, everything will show new name but all posts prior to that point will refer to old name.
you can run a query to update all references to new name.

I just tested this and found that individual posts are updated but the "last post" information for threads and forums is not updated, despite rebuilding the user, thread, and forum information.

Yeah... that's what I had to do, but it makes things very confusing for the user if the admin is unable to do so. And to an average user it may appear that something has corrupted the site. It would be so much easier if when rebuilding it woud update ths as well.

I just tested this and found that individual posts are updated but the "last post" information for threads and forums is not updated, despite rebuilding the user, thread, and forum information.
I believe I discussed this issue in the past and either Kier or Mike mentioned it worked as designed i.e after name changed, everything will show new name but all posts prior to that point will refer to old name.
you can run a query to update all references to new name.
Why would this be as designed?

Why would this be as designed?

I can understand it making it so that old users might recognize these posts by the old username, but if a person's whole identity has basically changed, then I am sure they would want all of their old post to be recognized as their new identity.

Thanks for the link Andy... apparently I didn't use the correct search terms :p

I guess it would be better if post could be linked by userid instead of username, that way any changes would just reflect what the new username is and not have to reference it in multiple places. 1 would be 1 whether the name was John, Bob, Joe or whatever

In addition to this, will the old username still be used in the quote reference header, or will all quoted posts be updated to reflect the new username?

Equally, the edit marker should also be updated too - otherwise we get cross referenced data between the old and new usernames.

Change of username should be reflected completely with the single exception of "post" content.

+1 for using ID no. instead of raw username data.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

We don't update this data because it's temporary. There is little point in going hunting for the last poster info in threads, because as soon as someone else replies, it is updated with their details instead.

This is different from the first poster info, which is permanent.

Top Bottom