Changing placement of Log In/Out?

raytrails

More than once lately (actually at least once a day) I have been clicking the 'Log Out' button instead of 'Alerts' when browsing through a smartphone. Based on the many annoying situations lately with this, I have concluded that such a 'powerful' button should be moved further away from general functions to avoid misclicking and unintentionally logging off.

Please consider a replacement.

Upvote 3
More than once lately (actually at least once a day) I have been clicking the 'Log Out' button instead of 'Alerts' when browsing through a smartphone. Based on the many annoying situations lately with this, I have concluded that such a 'powerful' button should be moved further away from general functions to avoid misclicking and unintentionally logging off.

Personally I think it should have confirmation dialog, like 'Mark All Forums Read', but there has been such controversy over there that I have been reticent to make the change.

Actually I wish XenForo would remove it from the navbar altogether and just leave it in the visitor tab that's there now (similar to Facebook when they removed the button from its header and placed it in the Account drop-down).
It's something I've considered, but there's an argument that log-out should be a single-click operation so that a visitor can log out instantly, where they might not expect to have to make a second click.

It's something I've considered, but there's an argument that log-out should be a single-click operation so that a visitor can log out instantly, where they might not expect to have to make a second click.
Should have learned by now... Someone will always have an argument regarding anything you do :p.

On a desktop it is not such a big thing, but like Garamond said using a smartphone it can be rather tedious. I have hit it, got logged out, I then logged back in just to accidentally hit it again. :whistle:

Clicking twice to log out is not near as frustrating as it is to click 2-4 times to log back in on a smartphone.

On a desktop it is not such a big thing, but like Garamond said using a smartphone it can be rather tedious. I have hit it, got logged out, I then logged back in just to accidentally hit it again. :whistle:

Clicking twice to log out is not near as frustrating as it is to click 2-4 times to log back in on a smartphone.
Don't worry, it's far more difficult to log out accidentally with the mobile skin design I have.

I'm not surprised you'd think of that. :p

Is logging out really that often used? If you don't pick the remember option, it only lasts for the session and if you do, it's unlikely you're going to be logging out each time you visit the site. So far the only times I've touched it has been accidental. :(

I'm not surprised you'd think of that. :p

Is logging out really that often used? If you don't pick the remember option, it only lasts for the session and if you do, it's unlikely you're going to be logging out each time you visit the site. So far the only times I've touched it has been accidental. :(
Consider the person accessing the site from an Internet cafe or a library - they have to run out in a hurry for some reason and just want to bash the log-out button before they go.

Consider the person accessing the site from an Internet cafe or a library - they have to run out in a hurry for some reason and just want to bash the log-out button before they go.

Should I add a low priority feature request to add a keyboard short cut for log-out? :-)

I hope this isn't out of place, but do you think there could be a log in button implemented in the navbar that takes you to the page instead of just having it in the top of the forum? Thanks!

I do dislike 90% of the mobile themes out there. They do well for many regular phones, but when you have a smartphone, they look so bland lol So I hope yours is good theme Kier ;)
I've made the mistake of logging out many times when I tried to hit alerts or even the inbox (big hands, big fingers). it would be nice if it was spaced out 5 or so more pixels. Its not too much to look off but it's wide enough so that you won't press it easily on your smartphone or touchscreen monitor.

A prominent Log Out Button for a desktop that is shared amongst many users is a good idea. People rarely share cell phones, so I really don't see the same functionality need for a Log Out button. The confirmation popup is an excellent compromise, for the situation of using a desktop style on a mobile device. But isn't the real solution to have a good Mobile theme ?
I wonder how often people actually log out on desktops and cell phones ?
When using the Desktop theme on a mobile device, do more people Log Out by mistake than intentionally ?

... Internet Cafe isn't that a really niche use ?
It seems until a good mobile theme is released ... more people are using xenforo desktop theme/style on a mobile device than are using xenforo on desktop in internet cafes.

I think what you really want is a Mobile Theme with the feature you suggest.
Have you tried the existing Mobile theme ?

People rarely share cell phones, so I really don't see the same functionality need for a Log Out button.

Guess that depends ones social atmosphere. Most people I hang out with are always needing to use one anothers phones because their battery went dead, or they forgot theirs in the car or at home or at their desk etc. So ya, I can see the need for it. I know I'd like a fast way to logout (preferably 1 click).

As I see it, there should definitely be a two-click operation for logging out, but marking the forums for read should be one-click. Always two-clicks for powerful functions. Marking forums read is a less powerful function than logging off the forum.

Top Bottom