Changing Guest Avatar

Ryan Kent

I currently use a "No Avatar" image for members without an avatar. I like the setup with one exception. My RSS feeds which are imported via the Registered Feeds post as Guest and use the same No Avatar image.

I would like to continue the feed posting as "Guest". The reason is the Registered Feed shows the original author's name followed by Guest. I thought of creating a "Guest" account and posting as such, but then I would lose the original author's name posting under Guest.

I looked for "Guest" in xf_user and couldn't find a record. Next I looked at the thread in xf_thread and noticed the user_id = 0. There is no record in xf_user for that user id. So my question is...how can I change the avatar that naturally appears for the "Guest" account? I have a RSS logo I would like to use as a replacement.

Somewhere within XF there is a line of code that has a path to a specific avatar. By default XF has 9 avatars, 3 for male, 3 for female, 3 for not selected. It is choosing one of those avatars somehow.

Yes, you will be able to do it by editing the .php files but it will be an edit you will need to repeat after every upgrade.

Even then, it will apply to all guests, so if you have guest posting enable then their posts will also use the RSS avatar.

I am fine with that solution. I do not have Guest posting enabled nor would I ever plan to allow that ability.

I already have a checklist of items I need to change after each upgrade. For example I removed the smiley option and use the add-on which offers a drop-down box. I don't love the idea of another thing to change after upgrades, but given the choices I accept that option.

Any idea where that php file is located?

Top Bottom