Not a bug Changing user's avatar in admin panel refreshes page and discards any other changes

Jake B.

Affected version
If you're editing a user and change a bunch of fields, and then go to change the user's avatar it'll trigger a refresh on the page and discard any changes you had made that haven't been saved. I don't think this is expected by most people since the edit avatar button is in the middle of the page, and there is no warning this will happen when you submit the modal. Would be better if the avatar image updated on the page via AJAX

We just don't have any handling here for dynamically updating the avatar in-place without reloading the page and I'm not entirely sure we're planning to. It might be worth a suggestion.

This has been the same all the way through XF 1.x and I don't recall it being a noteworthy issue, though. It shouldn't come up frequently.

Maybe just a warning message on the modal, open it in a new tab, or something like that? It discarding all of your changes with no warning whatsoever is definitely not an expected action.

But also making a load of changes alongside changing an avatar at the same time is not really an expected workflow.

Feel free to make a suggestion. It's not currently considered to be a bug.

Top Bottom