Change username [Paid] [Deleted]

Rigel Kentaurus

For people that believe that users should be allowed to change their username in the forum (without contacting the administrator)

This mod will allow users, from their options, to choose a new username for them.
  • Enabled/Disabled by usergroup
  • A user cannot choose a name that was already used (keeps history)
  • A user can be allowed to change their username each XX days
Installation instructions
1. Upload all the files in the "upload" folder to your XenForo installation

2. Add the Mod in your AdminCP
a) Go to your Admin Control Panel
b) Click on "Add-ons"
c) Click on "Install Add-on"
d) Select username_change_v100.xml and click on Install

3) Go to
a) List User groups
b) Choose "Registered"
c) Change the "Change his/her own username" to yes

Updates
Updates done via the Admin Control Panel were also issuing this check. The admin can now change the username at will even if the user has had it before or changed recently

verifyUserName changed signature, updated to be compatible with XenForo 1.1
Added username change log as a tab in the member page

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 11.29.39 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 11.29.39 PM.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 11.29.58 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 11.29.58 PM.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 11.30.22 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 11.30.22 PM.webp
    6.2 KB · Views: 146
i didn't think this would have been something i'd install but when a pile of people all signed up thru facebook & accidentally left their real names as their screen names, it was a necessity. thanks

This looks really useful!

Is it possibly to display the past usernames people have used on a users profile? (If it keeps a history already, I guess this is do-able pretty easily?)

On ipb it looks like:
geemanviewingprofile.jpg

Personally I think users should get the choice of changing their name, but I like there to be a public record so people know who they used to be known as.

This function, and an option to toggle it on/off would be awesome :D

Can name changes be moderated? I have no problem with users being allowed to change their name, especially because they don't always realize that when signing up with Facebook their full name is being used - they just click click click. However, I don't want people to bypass the registration regex or names on the censor list or get abusive names, etc. And would like to moderate these changes. Saying first to the user their request is pending .. and then as admin in the top where it says reported posts, etc, to Moderate Names (1 or more..) once there's something to show (and not show it if nothing's to be done).

Can name changes be moderated? I have no problem with users being allowed to change their name, especially because they don't always realize that when signing up with Facebook their full name is being used - they just click click click. However, I don't want people to bypass the registration regex or names on the censor list or get abusive names, etc. And would like to moderate these changes. Saying first to the user their request is pending .. and then as admin in the top where it says reported posts, etc, to Moderate Names (1 or more..) once there's something to show (and not show it if nothing's to be done).
The moderation part is certainly different from what I need, so I would probably not be interested in adding that option. But anybody else can take my hack and improve it or spin it in other way if they want :)

What I can tell you is that I am hooking into the same DataWriter that is used for editing user information, which means that if you have a regex setup in place, it will still be enforced. Same with the length of the username. Pretty much all the validations and constraints that apply at registration for a username will also be enforced here. The user gets an error if the username chosen is either being used or it does not pass the validations.

Thank you for the info and follow up :) Much appreciated. Great add-on.

I noticed today that the validation was being issued when changing the name for the user via the Admin Control Panel. As my guess is that this is not the intention, I am now bypassing the last change check and taken username check for that scenario.

For the upgrade,
you can just replace CemZoo/Username/DataWriter/User.php in the library folder
or reupload everything in the upload/ dir

If you wish to re-upload the xml, it will update the version number. It does not do anything else besides that.

How about a cut-off period? For example, as mentioned above, people who signup via facebook leave their real name as their username... could this be optioned so that a new user only has x days to change their username, then that's it, no more changes!

Also, what about the implications of the username being referenced in quotes?

How about a cut-off period? For example, as mentioned above, people who signup via facebook leave their real name as their username... could this be optioned so that a new user only has x days to change their username, then that's it, no more changes!

Also, what about the implications of the username being referenced in quotes?

That is an issue with even the admin changing the username, right ? The quotes persist, and also, if somebody had an alert that included that user, they will still see the old username in the alert

Not too much that can be done about that. Alerts are transient anyway, and modifying the quotes would be too server intensive... although possible

I like your suggestion about the grace period for changing. This could be an admin configurable option.

Great add-on. Having it only able to be changed every so often already is a great little feature.

I have uninstalled the username change addon, as I get the following error, when trying to use the built in default user sign up process.
"A server error occurred. Please try again later."

There are no errors in the apache log file and nothing in the admin control panel server error logs.
I'm on RC3, I have disabled the add on until it works without affecting the user sign up process.

Top Bottom