Change the word 'Avatar' in something else (like User Picture)

Grover

Yes, I know we have the Phrase Manager :). And I also state (more or less of that reason alone) that this may be one of the least 'important' suggestions I will ever post ;), but for discussion alone (and maybe consideration) I am interested how other people look at this:

not sure whether an average person understands the meaning of the word "avatar". This is merely modern "internet language".

Maybe "image" or "photo" or "picture" might be more clear.... ?

Facebook names it "Profile Picture".

The majority of people know what email is, but trust me, not everyone knows what an 'avatar' is. I know this from experience. Profile Picture or User Picture or something along those lines is directly understandable for everyone and the term 'Avatar' is mostly known to people who use forums (or some social networks) and yes, you are right, that are a lot of people. :)

When I started using some webforums 10 years ago it was unknown to me what an 'Avatar' was and I always felt this term to be a bit out of place really (Some related trivia: Invision Power Board is also dropping this term now, as you can see in the last comment on page 1 overhere).

Obviously, other software's opinions (or that of some users) should not be a reason to do the same or change anything. But... when we look at Xenforo there seems to be a good argument (as there is for the term 'threads', but that's another discussion ;)) I believe, to reconsider using this 'Avatar' terminology.

The argument is simply this:

An Avatar is (mostly) used/known as the virtual representation of a person. Meaning: not a real picture/photography image of oneself, but an image that re-presents you.

XenForo's vision seems to be (?) to stimulate the use of real pictures of yourself to interact with others. I understand that every site has different wishes/needs and that for one iconic virtual images are more fitting and for the other real-life photos. It can be used in both ways, but if we follow XenForo's social vision, then the Avatar terminology seems to be not that fitting.

User Picture or Profile Picture (as Facebook calls it, where the majority of people IS using a real-life picture indeed) sounds more appropriate for XenForo.

(A reason for me to put this suggestion up, is that a new potential XF business client also want's (no: needs) their platform members to use a real-life picture (as on Facebook) instead of a non-personal 'Avatar' indeed).

Thoughts? :)

Upvote 3
yeah, not sure how to explain my users (who are merely over the age of 50) what an "Avatar" is.

KISS
Keep It Simple & Sexy
tongue.png

An Avatar is (mostly) used/known as the virtual representation of a person. Meaning: not a real picture/photography image of oneself, but an image that re-presents you.
Yep, look at your picture or mine

In my opinion it is an avatar and will be an avatar for the near future. And as you notice "Yes, we have the Phrase Manager". I understand erich and his +50 Community, but I'm near 45 and I know very well what an avatar is :D

It is good the way it is :)

... and I know very well what an avatar is...

Ofcourse, but not everyone is you :). And the argument I made is not based on the 'knowing of the meaning', but if it is the most fitting term for the way 'avatars' are used (or a meant to be used) in XF's -social- vision.

If people don't understand the word avatar it's highly likely they are lying in hospital on life support and prity much not aware of anything.

If people don't understand the word avatar it's highly likely they are lying in hospital on life support and prity much not aware of anything.
Sorry, this sentence is an insult and arrogant.
There are other languages in this world!

Where is the "Dislike"-Button?

There are about 57 phrases with the word "avatar", I only changed the main one to "Picture"

/off-topic/ who uses gravatar? Yup, I removed it. :D

There are about 57 phrases with the word "avatar", I only changed the main one to "Picture"

/off-topic/ who uses gravatar? Yup, I removed it. :D
I use Gravatar :p

This is a new kind of board with a different setup, to be put on out as a "new" kind of software you can't keep using the same old names like all other forum software!
This is why we have "Node Trees" instead of "Forums", slight adjustments need to be made and for the typical user, there is only a small learning curve.

Where is the "Dislike"-Button?
Then you translate "avatar" to a phrase more appropriate to that language?
confused.png

The main problem with nitpicking with all these little things is that no one is ever really happy. If you change it, people will argue about changing it back and we'll end up with a reverse scenario (or in the least, people arguing that whatever the term gets changed to isn't clear or exact). That is why the phrase manager is there, for you to be the judge of your community and be able to determine which wording would be better to understand in your community. It's the middle ground for instances such as this.

That said, I've seen plenty of uses for the word "avatar" in a number of places, both off forums as well as on forums, and I know dozens of people who know what an avatar is. At the same time, I know others who can bring up people who don't. Again, refer to the above statement for these situations.

As Onimua said, and as we have seen time and time again on here, it will be impossible to reach a consensus for a lot of elements.

That's why the phrases system and Style Properties exist - so you can customise your own forum as you wish.

By all means, anyone is free to suggest anything, no matter how small, but if it isn't adopted then at least you still have the option of implementing it yourself.

I completely agree, that was my first thought when I saw this reaction:

It is beyond me why remarks like this (and this for that matter) are necessary in this community. I feel it has now been too many times that I have requested (which were granted) to remove those kind of postings from our discussions, Shelley. Why take -and therefor make- things so personal? We are here on this platform to constructively share our thoughts and ideas and (exaggerated) emotionally/personally charged reactions like these do not quite contribute to this goal.

I'm split on this. I agree that something like 'Profile Picture' is perhaps more 'social' and more understandable to people who haven't used forums before. However it may equally lead to some confusion, unless you have the sort of forum where the majority of your users will use their actual picture. I think this is the sort of thing where we each have to decide what is most appropriate for our forums and our communities.

This is a new kind of board with a different setup, to be put on out as a "new" kind of software you can't keep using the same old names like all other forum software!

I agree with that to an extent, but you can also look at it a different way. Whilst doing things in a new way can be a good thing, the basics should generally follow a common convention, you should generally avoid re-inventing the basics unless it is a logical progression that will make sense for the user.

In the case of 'avatar' I would agree with you that it isn't really a major convention outside of forums so if your community opens out into people who may not user other forums etc then it makes sense to change it to something more logical for them.

I completely agree, that was my first thought when I saw this reaction:
It is beyond me why remarks like this (and this for that matter) are necessary in this community. I feel it has now been too many times that I have requested (which were granted) to remove those kind of postings from our discussions, Shelley. Why take -and therefor make- things so personal? We are here on this platform to constructively share our thoughts and ideas and (exaggerated) emotionally/personally charged reactions like these do not quite contribute to this goal.

TBH - This wasn't personal, I'm not sure why the iphone thread got linked to but I knew you were still miffed by that. And rightly so.

With regards to my initial comment. I just happen to disagree with the term being changed from avatar to "profile picture" as suggested. I suppose I've come accustomed to it being known as avatar and therefore felt it was an appropriate term. I suppose I can understand the logic behind people not realising what the term means but not entirely buying into it.

I could have debated with you on this but your prity much spot on apart from me being personal with you (if that is what you were referring to).

By all means feel free to remove my initial post (staff) It did come off as a little arrogant, that wasn't the intention.

hey Shelley,

when you see a pretty handsome boy, you probably say: wow... I would like to have a "Picture" of this guy.
you most probably won´t say: I would like to have an "Avatar" of this guy
wink.png

Top Bottom