1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Change avatar file size permission to kilobytes

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Karelke, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Karelke

Karelke Active Member

We have set avatar file size to 100 kb, the permission field requires bytes. It's not an issue to manually convert the value from kilobytes to bytes, but I noticed 102400 bytes does not visually fit the text field (see screenshot below). Therefore I wonder: why is the field not requiring a value in kilobytes? Who uses avatars with a size less than 1 kilobyte anyway?

Screenshot from 2014-08-22 11:51:14.png

2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

What browser are you using?

It's fine for me

upload_2014-8-22_11-34-43.png

In fact, the box on my screen will fit 7 characters.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's due to the translated phrase, pushing the second column over.

I'll move this to bugs just in case.

Although in my testing, the width of the input doesn't change, it just gets pushed over along with the spinboxes.

4. Karelke

Karelke Active Member

Chrome 36 + Ubuntu.

Thanks @Brogan

5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is more likely down to OS rendering choices. That said, we do actually have size=5 set on all numeric permission inputs. This is something that applies to all of them though; setting something to 6+ digits is an outlier generally.

Interestingly, there isn't a spec for what size=X means explicitly. It's sort of ambiguous when you think about. In a variable width font, is it X W's? M's? I's? There is definite room for interpretation there.

But anyway, moving back to suggestions.

6. Karelke

Karelke Active Member

A shorter text does not resolve the issue.

Screenshot from 2014-08-22 15:26:05.png

@Mike is right about, Ubuntu renders the choices different from other operating systems.