1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Centos 6.x x86_64 or Centos 6.x i386

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Jeffin, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

I had a VPS running with 32 bit Centos for about 2 years and I never knew I could upgrade it to 64 bit for free. I recently installed a website software which required 64 bit PHP. Do you think I should upgrade from 32 to 64? Would that be better for my Xenforo installation? Would 64 bit be more server resource intensive? Need some expert opinion? Thanks.

2. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

what's your vps specs?

Jeffin likes this.
  3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

I pick 64 bit now on any install I do (which are all dedicated 64 bit computers). Just for the reason you outline (which, if you installed a software which requires it and you are going to use it that negates any points it may have on whether it is more resource intensive).
    On the VPS's I set up in ProxMox I typically will do a 32 bit and set the VPS up as 32 bit. I only allocate them at most 1.5GB RAM.

Jeffin likes this.
  4. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm on ServInt's Signature VPS - 90 GB Storage, 4 GB Guaranteed RAM.

5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

With a 4GB VPS, it would be worth it to upgrade (if it IS an upgrade and not an OS reinstall) to the 64 bit version. Yes, it will be a "little" more intensive on resources, but overall you gain from the 64bit version.

Jeffin likes this.
  6. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

Thank you Tracy. I think I will go for this upgrade.