1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centminmod email

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Hackfall, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Hackfall

Hackfall Member

I'm trying to get an email server setup after using Centminmod to install Nginx PHP and MariaDB.

I've tried Postfix but it requires mysql-libs and Maria comes without that.

So I was just wondering, for those of you who have used Centminmod to install a software set on your server, what did you do to get email working?

Thanks.

2. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Just curious, why do you need centminmod? This is a script that installs everything from source. How do you plan to track your scattered files and upgrade them later? There is no way you can do that with a source install, that's the main reason why yum was created in the first place. Use yum and decent repo, is the proper way to maintain a server clean and easily upgradable. :)

Here it is a 30 seconds install with all deps automatically loaded, on a 64bits machine:
    Code:
    # yum remove openssl.i686
    # yum --enablerepo=axivo install php-common php-cli php-fpm php \
    	php-bcmath php-gd php-mbstring php-mcrypt php-pdo \
    	php-mysql php-pspell php-xml php-pecl-apc php-pecl-imagick \
    	php-pecl-memcached nginx-naxsi-ui mariadb-server postfix
    There you have it... PHP 5.3.14 with all the fancy PECL packages XenForo needs, Nginx 1.2.2 with Naxsi firewall, MariaDB Server 5.2.12 and Postfix. Cannot get easier than this... Not to mention that Axivo RPM's are Intel optimized for top performance and tested on huge websites running over 50,000 online users.

For example, the Axivo MariaDB RPM's are 40% faster compared to official MariaDB RPM's and nearly 29% faster than their "generic" custom RPM. They are also also 65% faster than Percona 5.5.10-20.1 and 82% faster than MySQL 5.5.11.

RoldanLT likes this.
  3. Hackfall

Hackfall Member

Hi Floren,

I was struggling to get PHP and Nginx working under Centos6.2 andp4guru suggested Centminmod. So I did a clean install of Centos6.2 and then Centminmod and it all worked great until I tried to do test emails to move towards making the site live.

Sounds like my best bet now is to back up what I've done and do a clean install as you have suggested.

Thanks for your suggestion.

4. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

The rpm's are available for CentOS 5 and 6, have fun with Naxsi:
    http://www.axivo.com/go/naxsi

Make sure you do a minimal install on the box. :)

5. Hackfall

Hackfall Member

I'm getting an error like this:

yum --enablerepo=axivo
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, security

Error getting repository data for axivo, repository not found

6. Hackfall

Hackfall Member

7. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

What do you think. :)
    Don't forget to start the services, after the rpm installs:

8. Hackfall

Hackfall Member

Thanks for your help Floren, it is much appreciated.

It certainly takes longer than 30 seconds if you don't load the rpm first. I'm very inexperienced using terminal and am finding that it is very easy to miss one vital step in a process.

I now have an Nginx server working fine and Maria DB etc all working with no problems so far. I now need to reinstall Xenforo etc and harden up the server with firewall etc.

By the way does yum install init.d scripts for each service so they start up when the server is rebooted?

9. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

The init scripts are there, or else you would not be able to start nginx for example. :)
    The chkconfig somename on command does exactly that, it restarts the service when you reboot the server.

10. Hackfall

Hackfall Member

Hi Floren,

I now have everything working fine.

Email from the site is now also working perfectly.

Many thanks!

By the way I did have a small issue with the default localhost.conf file. What I found in there originally was:
    include fastcgi_params;
    but that didn't find fastcgi_params and my php scripts wouldn't work.

I had to use the full path to fastcgi_params and now it works fine.

The install locations were not exactly what I was expecting from reading about Nginx elsewhere for example when I do:
    whereis nginx

I get nginx: /usr/sbin/nginx /etc/nginx.d /etc/nginx /usr/share/nginx /usr/share/man/man8/nginx.8.gz /usr/share/man/man3/nginx.3pm.gz

and the web root is at:
    /var/www/html

It all works fine though.

I forgot to say I install nginx without the naxsi front end.

11. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Why do you use fastcgi_params? Is deprecated, the proper file to use is fastcgi.conf:
    https://www.axivo.com/community/threads/basic-nginx-configuration-file.128/

Yes, fastcgi.conf... not /etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf. Read the tutorial, please don't destroy the config files. Too much copy/paste from the Internet without reading the documentation? :giggle:
    Also, the locations are conform to Linux standards, which I follow religiously when I build an RPM.

12. Hackfall

Hackfall Member

It shouldn't be this difficult. Surely someone has good basic standard .conf files that will work in most situations. Then if you need something that is missing you read about that and add it in. We shouldn't all have to read the book on re-inventing wheels and then have to reinvent one to get a web serve3r running reasonably efficiently.

It looks like my installation was built without PCRE so I'm back to square one I guess.

13. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

This is the angle I look at when I setup a server: Do I want top performance or just a stock setup? If the answer is stock, then I don't bother to apply a bunch of system tweaks to a default minimal install and I would certainly do not bother to install a product like Nginx. A default Linux server with a clean minimal install is simply terrible in every aspect, when we talk performance tuning. That is valid for any distro, not just Linux in particular... So right there you start with the wrong foot, if you assume everything is fine.

You cannot just copy/paste things you read on the Internet into Nginx, it does not work like that. You have a fair chance the published information is wrong anyways. The way Igor designed this product is to be tailored for each website, uniquely. Whatever settings you use will never fit my site because I don't have the same traffic, server settings and hardware, etc.

In conclusion: if you want performance and accept the necessary learning curve from original documentation, then stick with Nginx, otherwise is best you look for a different web setup.

RoldanLT likes this.