Category-Forum Numbers in URL

Phillip

The ID numbers are based on the order they are created or imported.
For instance, the default main category is 1 and the default forum is 2.

Forums can be given a URL portion which removes the ID from the URL.
That option is not available for categories.

It's done in the ACP when configuring the node.

The drawback is if you change the URL portion in the future, any old links to the original URL will no longer work.

Ok, one more. I see that when you change the URL portion for an existing forum, that URL's will be broken.

What URL's does this refer to exactly? If the forum has never been "live" will changing the URL for an imported forum impact anything?

Ok, one more. I see that when you change the URL portion for an existing forum, that URL's will be broken.

What URL's does this refer to exactly? If the forum has never been "live" will changing the URL for an imported forum impact anything?
If its never been live and you havn't "linked" to it than no it won't impact anything

pfft James is fast..

Is it possible to change a forum to a category? This can be done in vBulletin but it may not be possible here.

Sorry for all the questions, we're just trying to sort out some numbering issues.

Change the node type, I think its possible via the node setting. I can't check on my mobile :D

Haven't found an option to change it yet... let me know if this is possible.

After the vBulletin import, how are post thread URL's changed from numbers to full friendly URL's? Full friendly URL's are already selected in the admin panel.

Haven't found an option to change it yet... let me know if this is possible.

I'm still looking to see if there's a way to change a forum to a category. Or another solution would be to find a way to change the forum id number at the end of categories.

After the vBulletin import, how are post thread URL's changed from numbers to full friendly URL's? Full friendly URL's are already selected in the admin panel.

Got this one working now. :)

Node types are distinct and can't be changed from forum to category and vice versa.

It is not possible to change the node id - you will have to create a new node and move all the children to that new node.

I think I know that the problem is - the category node id's are higher than you'd like?

I created my whole forum structure before I imported: I did about 20 categories first, then all the forums.
After importing I moved all the posts from the old imported forums to the new ones.

That ensured my category and forum id's were exactly as I wanted.

I think I know that the problem is - the category node id's are higher than you'd like?

I created my whole forum structure before I imported: I did about 20 categories first, then all the forums. After importing I moved all the posts from the old imported forums to the new ones.

That ensured my category and forum id's were exactly as I wanted.

Yes, I did the same thing. The issue though is that by default one category and one forum is set up. The #2 automatically gets assigned to that first forum. Therefore, the next category is #3, not #2.

Maybe someday they'll be an easy way to change the forum/category numbers. It would be even better if we could use partial URL's without numbers for the categories as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Your response time is fantastic.

Top Bottom