Category 5 Cyclone (Hurricane) to hit Australia tonight

From what I was reading a lot of people decided to stay. I still don't understand why they do that. Just like when we had the fires here in Victoria, a lot of people stayed at their house and got killed.
Usually happens with people who don't have experience with storms. We see it all the time here in Florida.

A tourist/new resident usually experiences a tropical storm or category 1 storm (or something similar) and immediately believe that all hurricanes after that are just slightly worse, so they mistakenly believe they can ride any storm strength out. Some also believe their house to be able to withstand anything, and in a number of cases don't realize that they're also in a flood zone (which, in the case of FL, it's nearly everywhere as we are below sea level after all).

The fact that horrible storms don't happen all the time, people either forget or weren't around the first time to experience it. Even if they see it on the news in some other part of the world, unless they see it first hand they don't "get it." I know of some people who mock others for fleeing and think it's a waste of time. What they don't understand is that those are the smart people. Better to be inconvenienced for a short period of time and possibly save your life instead of enjoying their television until the last minute before the power goes out, having water flood in, then trying to call emergency services only to be told that it's too dangerous and they can't help right now.

It happens every single time to far more people than it should which is unfortunate.

According to the meterology department we can expect three more cyclones hitting up North this year (not sure how they work that out to be honest).

From what I was reading a lot of people decided to stay. I still don't understand why they do that. Just like when we had the fires here in Victoria, a lot of people stayed at their house and got killed.

Me either, the only thing that would make me take that risk is perhaps animals that couldn't be transported, like horses, but even then I think I would be turning them free and then it would be humans first, get the heck out.

I feel sorry for the backpackers. A lot woke up this morning and were wondering where every one had gone .
No evacuation centre, a tight budget and the language barrier doesn't give backpackers too many options other than too stay.

I feel sorry for the backpackers. A lot woke up this morning and were wondering where every one had gone .
No evacuation centre, a tight budget and the language barrier doesn't give backpackers too many options other than too stay.

Yeah, it must be quite freaky to be in a foreign country and not be sure of what is going on! I hope they all find their way to evac centres!

Usually happens with people who don't have experience with storms. We see it all the time here in Florida.

A tourist/new resident usually experiences a tropical storm or category 1 storm (or something similar) and immediately believe that all hurricanes after that are just slightly worse, so they mistakenly believe they can ride any storm strength out. Some also believe their house to be able to withstand anything, and in a number of cases don't realize that they're also in a flood zone (which, in the case of FL, it's nearly everywhere as we are below sea level after all).

The fact that horrible storms don't happen all the time, people either forget or weren't around the first time to experience it. Even if they see it on the news in some other part of the world, unless they see it first hand they don't "get it." I know of some people who mock others for fleeing and think it's a waste of time. What they don't understand is that those are the smart people. Better to be inconvenienced for a short period of time and possibly save your life instead of enjoying their television until the last minute before the power goes out, having water flood in, then trying to call emergency services only to be told that it's too dangerous and they can't help right now.

It happens every single time to far more people than it should which is unfortunate.
Me either, the only thing that would make me take that risk is perhaps animals that couldn't be transported, like horses, but even then I think I would be turning them free and then it would be humans first, get the heck out.

Yes, but you do not need to be smart to understand that "something big" is heading your way. When we had the fires here in Victoria, people were told to get out. There were people, and don't get me wrong I feel very sorry for them and it is a terrible thing to happen, but there were people standing out the front of their houses with a garden hose spraying it down. Now, I don't think you need too many brains to understand that a fire with temperatures up to 1200 degrees celsius moving at speeds of over 100kmph is going to beat a garden hose. Hell, you could not outrun the flames with a car.

Same thing with this storm. If the winds are going to be over 300kmph I don't think you need to be smart to understand that you house is going to get blown away or that there will be objects flying in the air at that speed.
I understand people want to protect their house, but the house is no good to you if you are dead.

The News said:
Satellite images showed Yasi as a massive storm system covering an area bigger than Italy or New Zealand, with the cyclone predicted to be the strongest ever to hit Australia.

Do not need to be smart...

Yes, but you do not need to be smart to understand that "something big" is heading your way. When we had the fires here in Victoria, people were told to get out. There were people, and don't get me wrong I feel very sorry for them and it is a terrible thing to happen, but there were people standing out the front of their houses with a garden hose spraying it down. Now, I don't think you need too many brains to understand that a fire with temperatures up to 1200 degrees celsius moving at speeds of over 100kmph is going to beat a garden hose. Hell, you could not outrun the flames with a car.

Same thing with this storm. If the winds are going to be over 300kmph I don't think you need to be smart to understand that you house is going to get blown away or that there will be objects flying in the air at that speed.
I understand people want to protect their house, but the house is no good to you if you are dead.

Then I direct you to the Darwin Awards. ;) Even after all that, they still lack common sense. Some people are just plain stupid.
rolleyes.png

I don't intend to be mean or heartless towards the idea as I certainly can sympathize it, but I know when to draw the line and say, "This is far too big for me to handle," and that's long before I'm getting hit with a hurricane a wall of fire. I'm sure some of those people do realize it too, but too late.

Good luck to all there, batten down the hatches.

It's one of the reasons we moved from the coast of North Carolina when my husband was put on disability (we moved inland to the mountains of Tennessee). We had been living just 25 miles from the sea and ripe for a hurricane. Didn't want to spent June-November on pins and needles.

Saying prayers & swinging critters that all stay safe there.

More than a million people are hunkered down as Cyclone Yasi, the size of the United States, heads towards the Queensland coast packing power of unprecedented ferocity - the likes of which hasn't been seen since 1918.

This is crazy!

Being from South Florida, I can certainly empathize.... thoughts are out to everyone in NorthEast Australia! Be safe and play it safe! So many times people go outdoors too early to get the first looks at things and have died by walking through puddles with downed power lines, etc.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Top Bottom