1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Category 5 Cyclone (Hurricane) to hit Australia tonight

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kim, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

There is a big ugly Cyclone - Yasi set to hit the far Northern Queensland coast (on the top Eastern part) of Australia around 10pm tonight which is 12 hours away.

Category 5 is considerable stronger than Katrina (Category 3) which devasted New Orleans in 2005.

They are expecting rainfall of 700 - 1000 mm during the storm!!!! Given that flash flooding can occur at 100mm or 10% of that, it is going to be very messy! They are also expecting winds of up to 300 Kilometres per hour.

All low lying areas are being evacuated, and hopefully people will get the heck out of there whilst they can, just been watching the news reports, and the window to evacuate is only the next 3 hours.

Poor old Queensland, first the flooding, now this....Our thoughts are with you guys!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/02/3127394.htm

2. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

ugh, that's horrible. Hopefully everyone gets out of there safely!

3. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Uh oh. Batton down the hatches people ;)

4. TerminalAddict

TerminalAddict Active Member

I'm in New Zealand

Expected to reach us midday Thursday

5. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

When was the last time a bad hurricane struck that area? I hope it doesn't set the pace for the rest of us, as I know here in Florida we haven't had one hit us in quite some time. [​IMG]

6. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Ouch. Good luck to anyone in its path.

7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I would think that anyone getting out of it's path would be luckier :D

8. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

They have Cyclones every Summer, but they vary in strength, this is a Monster.

The last destructive one was Cyclone Larry in 2006, but it was aparently a baby compared to this one...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2011/02/01/3126937.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/cyclone-season-2010-2011/

9. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

Our prayers go with you. As I used to tell me guys, get in a hole and get small.

10. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Hurricanes suck. I hope we don't have to deal with one, especially a strong one although I know we're overdue for one. :(

I would not want to be in their shoes right now.

11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

This cyclone is as large as Hurricane Andrew that hit SE Florida and devastated everything in its path.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

12. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Ya the last major hurricane Florida had is the one that drove me to Ohio back in 2005.
    I remember we got hit, or brushed, by 3 hurricanes in less than 8 weeks that year. That was enough for me.

13. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

They are apparently moving huge numbers of people South.

For anyone on the tablelands it's expected to hit as a category 3 up there.

14. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Well I meant more of a bad hurricane. We got a couple of Category 3s at most I think? And they were still on the weaker site. Of course, you now traded hurricanes for snow, and it seems you're getting plenty of that now. :p That could be just as bad, if it persists and intensifies like it has in some places.

I'm sure this storm is going to leave a lot of people stranded. I think it might be a good idea to see if I've got anything to spare as no doubt some help lines will be set up in the wake of this.

15. Dynamic

Dynamic Well-Known Member

:/ So I assume there will also be more floods. Poor *******s.

16. Brett Peters

Brett Peters Well-Known Member

Yes this is going to be a beauty alright, I suppose the good thing is that we have had enough warning so that everyone can do some preparation work and then move to safety. Unfortunately the recent floods didn't come with this warning.

Sorta make's you wonder what us Aussies will be hit with next

To every one up north stay safe

Dragonfly likes this.
  17. Dynamic

From what I was reading a lot of people decided to stay. I still don't understand why they do that. Just like when we had the fires here in Victoria, a lot of people stayed at their house and got killed.

18. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

Some people underestimate the strength of nature and the purpose of life, I guess.

19. Dynamic

Must be it.

20. Travis

Travis Active Member

Good Luck everyone in QLD. This is the one time I am thankful that I am on the opposite side of the country. Watching the rolling coverage on TV,and you have to think,how much more do QLD have to put up with??