1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Captcha is not enough

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by wii, Nov 30, 2010.

1. wii

wii Active Member

I love my XenForo, but captcha is definately not enough to keep spammers registrations, I see new ones almost everyday, please add an option to include questions and answers or something similar to avoid these. Thanks
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

In the interim, I have coded a "Stop Forum Spam" add on that should stop quite a few in their tracks. Find the link in my sig.
    CyberAP likes this.
  3. Netsultants

Netsultants Active Member

"Questions and answers" is what worked for me on VB.

Is this being implemented?
  4. wii

wii Active Member

I'm hoping for a feature built in the system, but I will try the MOD for now, thanks.
  5. ragtek

ragtek Guest

6. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

Yeah a must. The spam killer system is great for clean up, but does nothing in terms of preventing spammers from joining. I run a board that manually approves members, and the question feature is how I can detect a potential spammer.
  7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I do as well. The thing is, with xf, you can view the news feeds and actually see what else the newer people are doing. Even the ones that have been approved.

That does not really have anything directly related to this topic, but I have spent all day cleaning up spam that I otherwise would not have to do if we were now using xf.
  8. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

We use Question/answer system for our vb 3.8 site and did not have much spambot. But as much as you want, you still have to deal with human spammers who sign up, post some seemingly relevant posts and try to sneak a link here and there.

there are nothing that can stop this.
  9. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

I know this will be annoying to people signing up but can something be created that checks stopforumspam, requires captcha and question and answer?
  10. TNCclubman

TNCclubman Well-Known Member

questions and answers is a must for us. its stopped spam on our vb boards completely. can it please be included in the 4th release?
  11. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

I still get bad ones with question and answer. I go through each new member one at a time. Having these tools just reduces the numbers of accounts I have to check.
  12. niden.net

niden.net Member

This might also help (integration I mean). Spammers can register by solving the captcha but you get paid every time they do it :D
  13. Ryan McAdams

Ryan McAdams Active Member

This is actually ingenious... I like it.
  14. Floris

Floris Guest

I am glad that I haven't had a spam msg in two months, and not using any anti spam at the moment.
    I am sure once we're found we will start the fight again, but we come prepared.