XF 1.4 Can't see new Catergory and forums

wardsweb

After the import from vB3.8 all the categories and forums showed up and are viewable by all the mods and super mods. I then created a new category and moved some mod only forums under it. I went it and set the permissions for admins, mods and super mods to view the new category and each of the underlying forums.

I am the only person who can see them. I was setup admin during the xenForo install. What am I missing or where should I look to make these viewable for others?

I'm still having issues on getting this straight.

I have a new category that as Admin I can see but Super Mods cannot. Super Mods are set Primary as Registered users and Secondary as Super Mods. Under the nodes the permission is set for Super Moderators it doesn't matter if I set it inherit or allow. Neither setting allows them to see the category when viewing the forums.

You can use the permissions analyzer to determine where you've gone wrong.

There are two ways of doing it.

1. Set the node as private
2. Allow the 'View node' permission for the desired user group(s) or user(s).

or

1. Revoke the 'View node' permission for the Registered user group
2. Allow the 'View node' permission for the desired user group(s) or user(s).

Inherit means the permissions applied will be whatever that user or user group has as a result of permissions set elsewhere.

Permissions are cumulative and can be set at the node, user group, and user level, so the final value is a combination of all permissions.

I have a new category that as Admin I can see but Super Mods cannot. Super Mods are set Primary as Registered users and Secondary as Super Mods. Under the nodes the permission is set for Super Moderators it doesn't matter if I set it inherit or allow. Neither setting allows them to see the category when viewing the forums.
Does your Admin account also have the Registered group as primary or is it set so that the Admin group is primary?
Does the Registered group (in that forum node permissions) have Never set?

Does your Admin account also have the Registered group as primary or is it set so that the Admin group is primary?
Does the Registered group (in that forum node permissions) have Never set?

Yes, all user groups are Registered as primary and any additional are set secondary. As Brogan suggested, Revoking the 'View node' permission for the Registered user group and allowing for the ones I want, worked fine.

I just need to understand the hierarchy structure and how everything is built off the Registered group, so I only adjust changes. The imported vB permissions didn't follow this because the original forum data is set up differently. Just needed some time to rebuilt those structures.

I just need to understand the hierarchy structure and how everything is built off the Registered group, so I only adjust changes. The imported vB permissions didn't follow this because the original forum data is set up differently. Just needed some time to rebuilt those structures.
Yes, that's usually one of the hardest things for those coming from another script have to grasp (the permissions/groups and inheritance). Most people end up liking it more once they get used to it due to the granularity of permissions you can perform.

Top Bottom