Can't reply in some threads.

ashkir

So sometimes some threads have issues that nobody can reply to. Nothing that uses jquery works. At all. the alerts don't drop down. The loading thing shows up and disappears nothing happens. The skin switcher button won't work.

This has been happening more and more over the past few weeks. And it is becoming annoying. It's only happening in Chrome and Firefox latest version and we're getting hundreds of reports of this and there was no software upgrade for XenForo or any mods installed in the past month.

Has anyone had this issue? How the heck do you fix this?

Okay. I have news! I found the bad js file. I used adblock and started blocking JS files one by one. It's xenforo.js. :/

I Tried a fresh download of xenforo and replacing the xenforo.js file. That did not fix the issue. But, adblocking xenforo.js allows us to post again in the one effected forum.

Okay. I have news! I found the bad js file. I used adblock and started blocking JS files one by one. It's xenforo.js. :/

I Tried a fresh download of xenforo and replacing the xenforo.js file. That did not fix the issue. But, adblocking xenforo.js allows us to post again in the one effected forum.

May be a similar problem with that one: http://xenforo.com/community/posts/450382/
According to the tests I've made, it doesn't seem to come from the Jquery version (it needs to be confirmed)

May be I was the first to buy this :D (some days ago) and here are some feedbacks.

I could not get the addon to work on my website. Somehow I kept getting this error: "Please enter a valid callback method." when I tried to install the addon. I believe that the files were uploaded correctly. SizeTraders.com was very responsive and tried to help but we could not figure out what caused the problem. SizeTraders.com offered a refund, but I decided to wait for a while to see if anyone get it to work (it could be my fault).
This error is getting popular.

If it is xenforo.js, how can this be fixed?

Again, we receive a lot of complaints about that issue, but could not reproduce it ourself until now. It just seems that the browser does not load all required files, preventing the users to post what they've written in the editor.

Only if such users click at "More options...." they can post their content.

If it is xenforo.js, how can this be fixed?

Again, we receive a lot of complaints about that issue, but could not reproduce it ourself until now. It just seems that the browser does not load all required files, preventing the users to post what they've written in the editor.

Only if such users click at "More options...." they can post their content.
The xenforo.js has a lot of external libraries... I've tested to update them to (see the jquery initiative) and it didn't change.

What are the steps to try to reproduce this bug? May be you should ask your users if they are using Chrome plugins and, if yes, they can try to disable them to check if the problem doesn't come from here.

The xenforo.js has a lot of external libraries... I've tested to update them to (see the jquery initiative) and it didn't change.

What are the steps to try to reproduce this bug? May be you should ask your users if they are using Chrome plugins and, if yes, they can try to disable them to check if the problem doesn't come from here.

Most of our users with that bug use IE at company PCs in their office.
Only very few with Chrome also.

Hitting F5 repeatedly helps and also "More Options..." to be at least able to post what was written.
It is VERY annoying to not be able to help them...

Most of our users with that bug use IE at company PCs in their office.
Only very few with Chrome also.

Hitting F5 repeatedly helps and also "More Options..." to be at least able to post what was written.
It is VERY annoying to not be able to help them...
Do you know which version of IE? I'm converting a forum right now, so if I just need to click on F5 with IE Tester, it shouldn't be a problem ^^

Do you know which version of IE? I'm converting a forum right now, so if I just need to click on F5 with IE Tester, it shouldn't be a problem ^^

We support IE version 8-10.
But we even cannot reproduce it if we use IE ourself.

Our understanding is, that this may have something to do with customized settings in a corporate environment.

However, even at such computers it should be possible to at least post a message...

We support IE version 8-10.
But we even cannot reproduce it if we use IE ourself.

Our understanding is, that this may have something to do with customized settings in a corporate environment.

However, even at such computers it should be possible to at least post a message...
...mmm then better to try to reproduce the problem with Chrome. At least this browser has a real console.

I have replicated the problem in Chrome. More Options doesn't happen. It's like. Really odd. We're still getting complaints.

If anyone wants to give it a kick I can let you take control of my browser via join.me or something.

Okay. I think we solved that bug. ;)

We found such errors in our web server error log:
Code:
2012/12/18 13:00:22 [error] 1959#0: *235714 open() "/var/www/XXX.XXX/forums/some-thread.111/js/xenforo/xenforo.js" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 15.70.64.93, server: XXX.XXX, request: "GET /forums/some-thread.111/js/xenforo/xenforo.js?_v=435345543 HTTP/1.0", host: "XXX.XXX"

It looks like some browsers do not respect the <base href Tag correctly or this script, included in Xenforo
HTML:
        <script>
            var _b = document.getElementsByTagName('base')[0], _bH = "http://xxx.xxx/";
            if (_b && _b.href != _bH) _b.href = _bH;
        </script>

and simply ADD the js path to the SEO Thread URLs. This only happens in rare cases , so it was difficult to debug.

Our solution was to include

$config['externalDataUrl'] = 'http://XXX.XXX/data';
$config['javaScriptUrl'] = 'http://XXX.XXX/js';
$config['externalDataPath'] = 'data';

in the config file.

Now everything works as expected.

Xenforo decided to go the way with a fixed "base" url and relative urls for all the additional scripts. They could have also taken the way to let the admins specify the base URL in the ACP.

And if that chosen way doesn't work with all browsers, I see it as a bug.

On a side note: We removed the "base url" javascript (which is there in addition to the "base" meta tag, it seems that the developers knew how important that is) and it seems to make things better with the CSS loading errors.

The error with not being able to answer is gone, since we have specified the fictive external js path in config.

Jake, you may not be able to see the error as it's extremely hard to reproduce and yet effects a large number.

If we make the change fix above we'd have to shut down our forum posting due to it making the message box disappear.

I do need to be able to reproduce the problem. Otherwise I can't test and confirm the fix (which you say doesn't work anyways). If I can't work with the problem then there isn't much I can do.

I do need to be able to reproduce the problem. Otherwise I can't test and confirm the fix (which you say doesn't work anyways). If I can't work with the problem then there isn't much I can do.
I can create you an account in the morning and we can hope it breaks for you.

We do have members with join.me or something that'd let you hijack control of their computers for a while.

Top Bottom