Add-on Can't create a thread in X forum(s) until you've created a thread in X forum

JacquiiDesigns

Okay - I'm not sure if this add-on exists or not. I don't think so, but would love to have such functionality. The idea is that a member cannot post a thread in X,X,X,X,X,X forums until they've created an intro thread in the Member Introductions forum.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Or perhaps there is an add-on which already exists that can be tweaked to add such functionality. If no - then perhaps someone is interested in creating such an add-on?

Thanks!

J.

Yeah - I checked those out and their not exactly what I'm looking for... On my poetry forum - there are new members who will register and post their poetry - it's tiring asking them to introduce themselves to the community. So an add-on which would require members to have posted in the Member Introductions forum before having access to our Poetic Colours and Shades of Fiction sections would be sweet!

Anyway - thanks for taking the time to share the links above dude ;)

J.

no problem.. :) figure you're looking for something like mix of borbole's one resource and profile completion resource lol

The idea is that a member cannot post a thread in X,X,X,X,X,X forums until they've created an intro thread in the Member Introductions forum.

As a user, I don't like forums that ask for the intro. Always seemed so phony along the lines of "on the internet no one knows you're a dog" thing. Judge people on the content of their messages not the "color" of their biopic, real or ideal.

As for how to do it, restrict all new signups to the "Introductions" section. I think Jake posted a way to do that, restricting first time users to one section.

yeah, didn't think of that but did something similar before lol. i had registered users signup and then they had to do "contributions" in "access" section first.. once they provided thread or two with material, reviewed, then approved or denied. i guess you could just make registered users "forced" to the "intro" section first.. then give them promotion to next usergroup once they've completed intro thread or whatever.

You could set permissions for all the nodes you don't want them to be able to post in off the bat, create a new user group called 'introduced' and only allow introduced people to post or reply in all of your node but allow all to read.

Then create a user group promotion and promote anyone with at least one post to the introduced group, since the only node they can post in is the introduction one this should get you what you want.

Top Bottom