Can't buy license

NewUser1234

Hoping I can get some help with this. I'm attempting to purchase a license, and every time I try to pay through PayPal it it displays the following error:

The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number.

I have tried different browsers. I've tried different computers. I've tried four different credit cards (Visa, MC, and Amex). I've different email addresses and different physical billing addresses for different cards. Can't think of anything else to try.

I've also used the contact form (http://xenforo.com/contact/) to try to get help and have not gotten any reply (granted, only been about 5 hours). Couldn't find a phone number. Kinda frustrating.

Any ideas?

XenForo does has an alternative payment options, but it is not yet integrated here into the site.

I sympathize.

Paypal is not accepted or approved everywhere. Some banks / card issues, will automatically decline the transaction, simply because it is paypal. My own card is the same as yours. Could have all the money in the world on it, but they are unwilling to approve anything through paypal (they claim it is high risk).

There are a few places where Paypal is even illegal to use.

But sadly, it is viewed by many as a common and acceptable portal for payment.

Give it some time and a member of the staff should contact you and provide you an alternative payment option,

All of the four cards I tried were from different banks, and I am in the United States. Regularly use PayPal, with the card I tried, no problem. Still no reply from my contact form submission.
Ashley (who I assume is the one that handles payments and such) is in the UK, and it's almost 4am there. You'll get a reply as soon as he's actually awake to do so. ;)

An update on this:

Ashley replied to my ticket this morning, telling me to call PayPal or check with my credit card companies. I did both; nothing wrong with my credit cards, and PayPal said there was nothing they could do. So hopefully I can get an invoice sent to me. I should also note that I do have a PayPal account, but couldn't use it because when I logged in and tried to pay with CC it would say "Credit Card - This payment cannot be funded with a credit card."

Not exactly impressed with XenForo on this. Shouldn't have to spend so much time just to pay for something.

An update on this:

Ashley replied to my ticket this morning, telling me to call PayPal or check with my credit card companies. I did both; nothing wrong with my credit cards, and PayPal said there was nothing they could do. So hopefully I can get an invoice sent to me. I should also note that I do have a PayPal account, but couldn't use it because when I logged in and tried to pay with CC it would say "Credit Card - This payment cannot be funded with a credit card."

Not exactly impressed with XenForo on this. Shouldn't have to spend so much time just to pay for something.
So it was a PayPal issue. I use to get those notices when I use to use paypal

FYI: Being in The United States, does not change my original statement.

Welcome to XenForo :)

I had this message on all of my cards the other day when I tried to renew so I could update.
My cards are fine and work everywhere just fine, I do hope xenforo fixes this issues before I have to upgrade my licenses.
The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number.

and ps.. my cards work fine with paypal
I find it hard to believe that it's a "paypal" issue, since my cards worked fine before and after trying to upgrade with the xenforo payment system.
Is this an issue on our own sites as well???

I used PayPal recently to upgrade without issue.
not paypal itself, but using your credit card via the paypal link, without having to make a paypal account

It's not that big of a deal for me, I'll have 40$ in my paypal account at some point and will be able to upgrade, I was thankful I was able to patch that one site even though the license is expired. :)

If I was to guess, I'd say it's something to do with the Europe side of the "button"
I've been able to make credit card payments via a paypal button before but this is one of the first time I've used one that had all the EU countries and sections listed off like the one here is.

I had the same error message yesterday when I attempted to make payment as a PayPal 'guest'. I did finally manage to make a successful transaction using PayPal directly on the same credit card that it had already rejected. /shrug!

Why does PayPal keep rejecting my credit/debit card?

If you're credit/debit card is being rejected by PayPal with the message "The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number." it could be due to one of the following reasons:

1. Your card is associated with a specific PayPal account, and you're not logging in with that particular account.
2. Your card was associated with a PayPal account that has been closed.
3. You've exceeded your card limit with the PayPal system.
4. Your email address is raising a red flag in PayPal's system.
5. You have problems with your cookies. It's recommended you clear your cookies and try again.
6. You've linked the card to an account, but have not yet confirmed it.

It's just odd that I was able to use my card via paypal on another site the same day I got the message here.

It is a paypal issue, not a XenForo issue.

1. It is happening else where other than XenForo sites
  2. XenForo can not control how or why PayPal accepts or declines cards.

I'd call it a XenForo issue as it just happened to me. It's XenForo's issue as they are in biz and should have merchant account and take payments. This is really bobo.

I'd call it a XenForo issue as it just happened to me. It's XenForo's issue as they are in biz and should have merchant account and take payments. This is really bobo.
It is a paypal issue and most professional merchant account fees are extreme and so the cost of XenForo would need to go up to cover those fees.

I would like to see an alternative to paypal though.

Google Checkout
Payza
Amzon.com
2 Checkout

All would be nice....

But I will continue to be OK if they avoided a traditional merchant account (banking system) as to keep the cost of XenForo lower, passing the savings onto us all. ;)

It is a paypal issue and most professional merchant account fees are extreme and so the cost of XenForo would need to go up to cover those fees.

Welcome to the world of online commerce. You get a merchant account, you pay the credit care fees. You add the cost to your product cost. In this case a whopping $7. Charge $150, make it easy to buy.

Can't blame PayPal, they operate how they operate, XenForo chooses to use them, or more correctly, chooses to pretend to use them since PayPal does not work for XenForo purchases. Don't offer to sell via credit card and then not do it.

I would like to see an alternative to paypal though.

That's an understatement. Keep the person from buying your product. Piss'em off in the process. Give them a chance to rethink the purchase.

Welcome to the world of online commerce. You get a merchant account, you pay the credit care fees. You add the cost to your product cost. In this case a whopping $7. Charge $150, make it easy to buy.

Can't blame PayPal, they operate how they operate, XenForo chooses to use them, or more correctly, chooses to pretend to use them since PayPal does not work for XenForo purchases. Don't offer to sell via credit card and then not do it.

That's an understatement. Keep the person from buying your product. Piss'em off in the process. Give them a chance to rethink the purchase.

If you use the contact us feature, located in the lower, right side

direct link http://xenforo.com/contact/

I know that they are using an alternative upon contact. I suspect we'll see it in version 1.2

Google Checkout
Payza
Amzon.com
2 Checkout

Would all be acceptable alternatives to provide, while keeping the price "as is".

For now, PayPal, which is used... Seems to be having issues.... As this is affecting other people and sites as well and not just XenForo

Top Bottom