Can't buy license

NewUser1234

Hoping I can get some help with this. I'm attempting to purchase a license, and every time I try to pay through PayPal it it displays the following error:

The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number.

I have tried different browsers. I've tried different computers. I've tried four different credit cards (Visa, MC, and Amex). I've different email addresses and different physical billing addresses for different cards. Can't think of anything else to try.

I've also used the contact form (http://xenforo.com/contact/) to try to get help and have not gotten any reply (granted, only been about 5 hours). Couldn't find a phone number. Kinda frustrating.

Any ideas?

I'm sure but if they don't take credit cards hard to see a way of completing the transaction. Little old ladies on eBay are more adept.
Funny you should say that.....

As 99.9% of all sales use only Paypal on eBay, because eBay owns Paypal and will only offer guarantees, warranties, or "support" if you use Paypal ... And they too are having this issue....

And it works fine there if the client signs up for the service which apparently XenForo didn't do so they offer "credit card sales" you just can't use your credit card. Not sure if this is Monty Python or Kafka.
XenForo has a paypal account, so they do have the service.

eBay is also having this issue too. So are others who accept Paypal (I think I've repeated that).

Is your only goal to attack XenForo and do you really have an interest in purchasing Xenforo?

XenForo has a paypal account, so they do have the service.

They have apparently not signed up for the PayPal services necessary to allow overseas payment. Paypal works as advertised.

Is your only goal to attack XenForo and do you really have an interest in purchasing Xenforo?

The funny part is ONLY people with an interest in purchasing XenForo would have the problem of purchasing XenForo.

They have apparently not signed up for the PayPal services necessary to allow overseas payment. Paypal works as advertised.

The funny part is ONLY people with an interest in purchasing XenForo would have the problem of purchasing XenForo.
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/compare-business-products

The link provided suggest that the only advantage offered would be to accept it via phone, fax, or post mail.

XenForo is currently closed as it is 4 AM in The UK. So even if they subscribed to that paid service, they still would not be able to process your order.

Neither would any of their competitors whose sales department is not open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year (...ie.. all the time). Further more, it would be a very high risk to accept those phone orders.

And again.... The issue is a paypal issue as, yes, even eBay is having the current issue.

With their current account, just like with anyone else who has paypal... YES, they can accept overseas ... ie... offshore payments. So can anyone else who has a verified business paypal account.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/compare-business-products The link provided suggest that the only advantage offered would be to accept it via phone, fax, or post mail. XenForo is currently closed as it is 4 AM in The UK. So even if they subscribed to that paid service, they still would not be able to process your order. Neither would any of their competitors whose sales department is not open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year (...ie.. all the time). Further more, it would be a very high risk to accept those phone orders. And again.... The issue is a paypal issue as, yes, even eBay is having the current issue. With their current account, just like with anyone else who has paypal... YES, they can accept overseas ... ie... offshore payments. So can anyone else who has a verified business paypal account.

Who knew purchasing on the internet was so difficult. I've purchased stuff on the web from all over the world and have never run into this before.

If what you say is true, unless someone is manning the XenForo cash register no transactions will go through, then XenForo should have posted business hours. Open 1AM to 9AM for our US West coast customer's convenience. Closed 5A to 6AM for lunch.

One could view it two ways.

1. Paypal is useless system and XenForo chose to use them knowing it would impedes sales and frustrate customers.
2. Paypal has solutions for every business situation and getting the wrong one impedes sales and frustrates customers.

You are trying to defend the ridiculously indefensible but at least providing a public service and letting me blow off my frustration saving some poor XenForo person from listening to a $140 tirade.

Actually I see it this way.... from experince....

Paypal is a useless and unreliable system, which a vast majority of people use because they do not know better, so it is in the best interest of XenForo to offers a system which the majority of people know and accept.

So it is a mix of 1 and 2.

But we can agree that they should have an alternative.

Google Checkout
Payza
Amzon.com
2 Checkout

^ I've used all the above without issue of any kind.

The closest paypal type system would be Payza (think Paypal, but more secure and started in Canada) or Google Checkout (which is renaming its self to Google Wallet).

And again... This is a paypal issue, not a XenForo issue.... The system is automated so that even when everyone is sleeping.... You can still order. BUT currently paypal, themselves, are having issues... NOT XenForo.

I'm beginning to think I'm arguing with a troll. You seem to ignore that reply, which I have given you a dozen times.... Which by the way, is the factual answer. You don't have to like.... I wouldn't like it either, but it is the current fact that the issue is with paypal at the moment. Other sites are having the same issue.

We accept PayPal. It is well known that we use PayPal to offer an online payment option. PayPal is an excellent option. It has some weirdness. We accept wire transfer payments, although this is not a common payment method because of the costs and the time it takes for the payment to be received.

Between these 2 options a payment is possible. On the whole PayPal is works without issue. Payments are being processed without issue.

These are the options we have to work with. Sometimes it can be a little trying, for everyone.

We accept PayPal. It is well known that we use PayPal to offer an online payment option. PayPal is an excellent option. It has some weirdness. We accept wire transfer payments, although this is not a common payment method because of the costs and the time it takes for the payment to be received.

Between these 2 options a payment is possible. On the whole PayPal is works without issue. Payments are being processed without issue.

These are the options we have to work with. Sometimes it can be a little trying, for everyone.
What options do you offer for those who

1) Can not accept, use, or proccess paypay
2) Are unable to do wire payments

You really need an alternative. ANY alternative.

What options do you offer for those who

1) Can not accept, use, or proccess paypay
2) Are unable to do wire payments

You really need an alternative. ANY alternative.
Wire transfers *are* the alternative... They could offer 5 alternatives, and people would still probably ask what the alternatives are.

Just out of curiosity, who would be unable to do a wire transfer? I don't even think you have to be an adult... a kid can walk into a bank and wire money if they wanted. All you need to do is go to a bank (doesn't even have to be your bank)... or a grocery store or many other places.

Wire transfers *are* the alternative... They could offer 5 alternatives, and people would still probably ask what the alternatives are.

Just out of curiosity, who would be unable to do a wire transfer? I don't even think you have to be an adult... a kid can walk into a bank and wire money if they wanted. All you need to do is go to a bank (doesn't even have to be your bank)... or a grocery store or many other places.
People like TheVisitors who shun banks and 'the system' are who. To be honest, I've always been of the opinion that I, personally, am only willing to go so far to accommodate getting someone's business. Beyond that, the heck with it. Some people seem to think it should be no big deal to offer Google Checkout or 2CO or Moneybookers, etc. when in reality most all pay gateways except Paypal are terrible to work with from a merchant's perspective. Crazy high fees, restrictive payout schedules, etc. make it not worth it in the long run.

People like TheVisitors who shun banks and 'the system' are who. To be honest, I've always been of the opinion that I, personally, am only willing to go so far to accommodate getting someone's business. Beyond that, the heck with it. Some people seem to think it should be no big deal to offer Google Checkout or 2CO or Moneybookers, etc. when in reality most all pay gateways except Paypal are terrible to work with from a merchant's perspective. Crazy high fees, restrictive payout schedules, etc. make it not worth it in the long run.
I could argue the same thing about paypal.

Wire transfers must differ from location to location.... Here.....No bank account, no wire.

PayPal is an excellent option. It has some weirdness.

Four people in as many days were unable to buy XenForo via XenForo's PayPal purchase page.

That is not what I'd call an "excellent option".

Paypal is OK for independent contractors. A company, especially a software company selling a web product online, needs to be able to accept payment directly via credit card. No better example of why than this thread. For every person that tries to buy and comments, how many just walk on by, having second thoughts about a company that can't effectively handle its own online purchase system?

Buying the product should be the easiest thing to do on the website. I sympathize with XenForo's situation and opening the merchant account with XenForo's bank is not possible right now but claiming "Paypal is an excellent option" is almost more of a red flag than the PayPal problem. An answer that would give more confidence is "Yes. We know the PayPal system is bad. We cannot change at this point but will address the problem in the future with direct credit card payment for products and renewals."

I've gone back to PayPal, opened an account which requires MORE paperwork than a car loan (photo ID, SS verification, home address verification, credit card) and is a three day process and it is problematic even that will work. Only reason I did that is the developer, who is an independent contractor, uses PayPal and, if I can't purchase XenForo, the developers for the alternative product also need PayPal. The competition, IPBoard, has direct credit card purchase.

As I mentioned, these are the options available, currently. It is information that is available before the transaction is made. We work with what we have and it works well.

Four people, you say. Please have them contact us.

I appreciate your frustration. We have all heard your views. We are here to help with the resources at our disposal, as far as is possible.

Top Bottom