• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Browser issue Cannot delete template

Ryan Kent

I created a template called custom_social_icons. The version of this template in my Flexile Dark section appears identical to the template in my Flexile Blue section. For some reason, both templates show as being customized. I decided to revert the Flexile Dark version of the template so it would inherit from it's parent.

I am not having any server issues. My pages load fine, including my template page which loads in under 1 second. Every time I try to revert this template I receive the following error:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/terapvpc/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Template/Compiler.php on line 570

I have tried about 10 times over a two hour period.

*** UPDATE - I was able to revert a couple other templates without any problem but then this same issue is occurring with sidebar_share_page. At this point those two templates will not revert due to the error listed above.

Ryan Kent

uh oh....

too many I guess . I wanted to get feedback from others on which styles look best so I installed all of the Flexile styles (both Dark and regular). So a total of 14 styles I installed, plus the default = 15.

I have a feeling it's lesson time for me :)

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
uh oh....

too many I guess . I wanted to get feedback from others on which styles look best so I installed all of the Flexile styles (both Dark and regular). So a total of 14 styles I installed, plus the default = 15.

I have a feeling it's lesson time for me :)
When you save or revert a template, it has to compile it in all of the styles you have installed. We're hoping to develop an optimization for this in due course, but right now it's going to present a problem for you unless you increase the PHP maximum execution time.

Ryan Kent

My site is not live yet, it will be soon. Before I go live I will reduce my styles. For now I can leave these two templates and adjust manually.

In case I do need to fix, what steps do I need to take to increase my PHP maximum execution time? The only thing I know about PHP is PHPmyadmin is viewable in cpanel.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
In case I do need to fix, what steps do I need to take to increase my PHP maximum execution time? The only thing I know about PHP is PHPmyadmin is viewable in cpanel.
This used to work, though I haven't tried it for several years... in your library/config.php, add the following line:
PHP:
ini_set('max_execution_time', 0);

Ryan Kent

that worked perfectly. I commented out the code after I finished. Thx Kier.

(You are now 3 posts closer to catch Brogan in the race for 5k!)

Ryan Kent

well...now I have a new issue which may be related.

I am trying to save my navigation template and I keep getting the same error message "The server did not respond in time. Please try again." I have been trying on and off for a couple hours. Other templates save without any issue.

I tried the ini_set code you offered above in case that might help, but it did not.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
That will be jQuery timing out. The actual template change should be saved regardless of the message, can you check that it is?

Ryan Kent

yes, I can confirm it is actually saving the changes.

So I can just disregard that message? Or do I make a change somewhere that will allow jQuery to have a longer timeout period? Is this a result of having too many styles loaded?

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
Too many styles, server too slow etc. I'd recommend that you remove some of those styles to avoid hitting this error until we've come up with a way to speed up the compiler.

Ryan Kent

I removed 6 styles and am still experiencing the same issues. Specifically two issues remain:

- When trying to revert a simple template (ad_header) the XF version of the hourglass in the upper right corner continues non-stop. I let it go for 15 minutes, checked back, it was still going. After 30 minutes I clicked out of the screen and the template did not get reverted.

- At times I receive a form of "server didn't respond in 30 seconds" message when trying to save template changes.

My current template structure is as follows: Default > Flexile > Flexile Dark. Those templates do not get touched by me and are only modified when updates are installed. I also have a Flexile Blue and Flexile Dark Blue which are child objects of Flexile and Flexile Dark respectively. This is where I perform my modifications. Lastly, I have two additional color options for both Flexile Blue and Flexile Dark Blue. No template modifications are performed in these child styles, simple color palette alterations.

In total, I am down to nine templates which offers my users a total of 3 dark styles and 3 light styles. I would be ok with deleting one more color option leaving my users with a total of four styles to choose from, but I prefer not to go lower. I notice these official forums offer 6 style choices.

My question is....what semi-permanent (until XF offers a better solution) changes can I make so my templates save and this issue is avoided?

EDIT: The particular template I am working with (ad_header) will save changes I make to it in about 2 seconds. It simply will not revert.

EDIT2: I now realize the normal XF behavior is when you select "revert template" about 1 second later the Revert Template overlay appears. In the instance of ad_header, it never appears.

Ryan Kent

I can work around the issue where I receive an error message but the template actually saves. I cannot work around the issue where my templates will not revert. I need some sort of fix for that if possible. I tried the max_execution setting and it is not working.

How can I force a template to revert under this circumstance? I am not ever receiving the pop-up window which normally appears immediately after pressing the Revert Template button.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
Open a support ticket with login details to your server and admin control panel and we will investigate.

Ryan Kent

issue resolved, plz close thread.

Root cause of the issue was my AdBlocker Plus from FF blocked a couple templates such as "ad_header" based on the overlay matching a default blocking condition (a pop-up window named "ad_head")