1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Cannot Connect to Remote DB - Import Issue

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Yetak, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Yetak

Yetak New Member

This is my first time installing or even using Xenforo. We're transitioning a client from SMF to Xenforo, so I'm trying to get an import working as the other forum is rather huge and has been around for a while. The forums are on two different servers (the SMF and the fresh Xenforo install). The install went great and all but now that I'm trying to do the import it keeps giving me the following error:

The source database connection details are not correct: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xxx.xx.xxx.xxx' (110)

I know that the details are correct as I've used them to connect remotely via Navicat for database management. I've allowed the hostnames via cPanel on the new server so that shouldn't be an issue either. I've googled and searched but cannot seem to find a viable answer/resolution for this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Typically the source and destination databases will need to be on the same server.
  3. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Do you have a firewall that is blocking the outgoing connection on the XF server?

4. Yetak

Yetak New Member

Brogan - is there no way to do it otherwise? If not, that's fine, I'll manage a workaround.

Liam - I'll have to double check.

Thank you both for the quick replies.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015