Can XenForo access my current MySQL database tables?

rnish

Hi. I have a very simple website and I am curious if XenForo will mix in well with it as my forum software of choice.

I currently have a functioning site with one database table full of a specific item type. What my website does is display those items, along with having options for filtering how those items are displayed (type, color, size, etc).

This is all my site does.

I want to add a forum, but I want the users who have registered on the forum to be able to create their own custom 'user page' of my own design.

I then want to add a 'settings' page of my own design, to allow each forum member to pick their favorite items from my database that I described initially in this post. Then on each forum members custom user page that I have made, it will show those choices to anyone that visits.

But most importantly, on my main item display page (the core of my website), I want to be able to sort the items from my current database to display by usage (most -> least, etc), thanks to my forum users setting up this custom user page.

Is this possible with XenForo? Can it access/add entries to my current database tables? Hopefully my post made sense. :)

Thanks for any input, I will try to clarify further if necessary.

Yes it is possible. It will be done with an additional addon you would have to write - or you can hire a coder from this community to help you with that. In both PHP as in the PHP Framework xenForo uses to make programming easier you can access another database with just a few lines of code. Did you program your current application yourself?

Yes it is possible. It will be done with an additional addon you would have to write - or you can hire a coder from this community to help you with that. In both PHP as in the PHP Framework xenForo uses to make programming easier you can access another database with just a few lines of code. Did you program your current application yourself?

Sounds good. I did write it myself using PHP and MySQL, though it is very simple and I am very much a novice and followed books and guides etc.

Thank you very much for your reply, I'm glad to hear it is possible...and maybe I can work out how to do it with some fiddling around :)

Top Bottom