can we... moderate... moderators?

seebs

okay so this is sort of an edge case, but.

It would be actually SUPER USEFUL on occasion if I could put admin-level accounts on Post Moderation, as a simple way to attain the result of "this message has to be seen by other people before it goes up" or something. But empirically, it appears that admin accounts just bypass moderation no matter what's set.

I love XF's highly granular permissions, but it's frustrating when hidden factors override them.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, I meant to post this in the questions/support forum.

You should never give this permission to users if you do not trust them to post content in any area they have moderation permission.

I think you should be able to make it work like you want to, but that would require some advanced knowledge of xenforos inner-working. I would best just wait until the release of xenforo 2, and then modify xenforo.

okay so this is sort of an edge case, but.

It would be actually SUPER USEFUL on occasion if I could put admin-level accounts on Post Moderation, as a simple way to attain the result of "this message has to be seen by other people before it goes up" or something. But empirically, it appears that admin accounts just bypass moderation no matter what's set.

I love XF's highly granular permissions, but it's frustrating when hidden factors override them.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, I meant to post this in the questions/support forum.
Staff don't explicitly bypass the "Follow message moderation rules" permission, but anyone who has the "Approve / unapprove" permission for forum posts can bypass it.

So, the approach to take, assuming you only want this to happen in a single forum, is to revoke (or probably set to never) both the "Follow message moderation" rules permissions and the "Approve / unapprove" permissions for either a group of users or specific users.

You will of course need to ensure that this permission change doesn't affect the user/users who need to review the message, of course, otherwise the messages will effectively be invisible :)

Interesting!

I mean, it makes sense because if I can approve posts obviously I can approve my own, but as it happens, it'd be super convenient if I could set my default account to dump stuff in the queue for second-opinions. But still be able to do mod queue for other users.

... As a side note, I really wish "moderated post queue" could be given to people WITHOUT edit/delete privs. Or rather, I wish the UI were accessible without edit/delete privs. Because there are people I would be fine with having watch the mod queue for egregious stuff, but that I don't want randomly editing/deleting things.

But that's sorta neat.

... So on further science: I've done this successfully, and now the mod queue has one of my posts in it, which I can see, but apparently mods can't see it?

(And I added more permissions and maybe it works now, but it may not cause the "Moderation" queue to show the posts as expected.)

FWIW, as a followup: Possibly surreally, I can in fact approve my own posts. Approve posts is turned off for me, but I can do it.

This may be because the account is the Super Admin that created the forum.

Top Bottom