Can the Resource Manager Rival IP.Content?

petertdavis

I'm still very much in the air about which forum platform to move forward with into the future. The only real decision I've made is that it won't be vBulletin 5.0. No way in hell. Over the past several months I've been looking closely in at IPB, and finding out what IP.Content is capable of (but also finding it hard to work with). With the pending release of XF's Resource Manager, my thoughts have turned to asking whether it might be capable of as much as IP.Content but with the advantage of being easier to work with? Comments?

If I'm honest I never managed to create a single thing with IP.Content because I simply couldn't work out where to start?!!! Things may have changed since, mind you, but I would liken RM to IP.Download (but RM can also be used as an article lirbary too - IYSWIM). (y)

Reactions: Kim
If I'm honest I never managed to create a single thing with IP.Content because I simply couldn't work out where to start?!!! Things may have changed since, mind you, but I would liken RM to IP.Download (but RM can also be used as an article lirbary too - IYSWIM). (y)

Things are pretty much same for IP.Content ;) More or RM seems much better then IP.Download. IP.Download is horrible in terms of feature.

They are two different animals, Resource Manager is more compared to IP.Nexus than IP.Content...

I am looking forward to hear more announcements from XF & Crew about a possibility to add a CMS option in the next few years.

They are two different animals, Resource Manager is more compared to IP.Nexus than IP.Content...

I am looking forward to hear more announcements from XF & Crew about a possibility to add a CMS option in the next few years.

Um no. It's compared to IP.Downloads. Nexus allows you to sell stuff on your site without having to link to a separate page etc which the RM doesn't do as of yet.

You cant recreate the RM with IP content. Yet, there are many things you can do with IP Content that you currently can not do with the RM.

However, I suspect that the RM can be modified to become a lot more.

Everyone with vbulletin allergies better skip the rest of this post. I'm gonna curse in a way.
The only good idea about the dreaded vb5 is the concept of having channels which can contain anything. Whether its threads, reviews, images, lists, whatever content type you can think of.
Now this is the way I consider the RM. Its basically a channel manager with different content types in it.
It was not built for this purpose, but now that its here, we might as well modify it into a channel manager.

I think I'll wait for the more creative to find ways of using the RM that are outside the box. Who knows, someone might actually find a novel way of getting it to act as a lightweight article/portal page. If that ever happens, I'll be all over it in a heart beat.

My exact experience too Clickfinity! After using their products for 7 or more years, and being a top skin provider I had no idea how to use the damn thing.

Admittedly several years ago now, but I don't believe it has been made simpler to use.

As I said to their managment and devs at the time - You guys built a rocket capable of inter stella travel, when most want a scooter to go to the local shops on.

It is an immensely powerful system if you are a programmer. If not, I doubt it will be much use to you.

RM is not the same thing at all, it is more like the Downloads, better than, but closer in functionality.

Top Bottom