Can I run 1 exact copy for a while?

sbj

Can I use my 2nd domain and an exact copy of my database/home directory for a while?

That means a 2nd installation of xenforo but the exact copy (not a real 2nd installation).
So my main site doesnt go offline and I can look for a new hosting company and test them?

Of course I will tell per pm/ticket/mail the 2nd domain so Xenforo can be sure that I dont run with 1 license 2 forums.

It is just a huge step for me to go to a VPS and I have no clue about running it. And I assume it will take me some days to get it to work, maybe weeks. And meanwhile I am working on my forum (not opened yet) I could also look for a new hosting company. Of course when I am satisfied, I will direct my main domain to the new company and everything is fine

1. Is this manageable? I mean are there any barriers from a technical view?

2. And also is this allowed by Xenforo?

The terms of the license do not permit that.

1. Grant and Scope of License
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the payment by You of the applicable fee for the Software, XenForo Limited grants You a limited, non-exclusive, worldwide license to install, download and use a single instance of the Software ("License") through a single installation. Each License may run one instance of the Software, accessible via one URL. Any attempt to circumvent this limitation is prohibited and will result in the License being revoked.

Before deploying the Software, you must register in the XenForo.com customer area the address (URL) at which You will use the License. This URL must be kept up-to-date. You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.

License Agreement

Reactions: sbj
I know the terms that is why I ask here. I assume I could do this without telling anybody and nobody will realise it anyway. I mean a little website, not open for visitors, almost no chance in realizing I have 2 installations.
But I wanted to have permission. It is really an exact copy and for a week or so. Just for testing the new company. It is not like having 2 seperate forums with 1 license, it is technically the same forum under 2 domains.
And I also will tell the staff the 2nd domain so you can be sure I dont exploit it.

Can't you make an exception? Is it possible to discuss it per pm? Maybe @Mike ?

Why don't you just put a password on the second one you playing on and then it should be ok as per the above

Why don't you just put a password on the second one you playing on and then it should be ok as per the above
Is it? That would be great.
I thought technically it is still having 2 installations, so it is not ok. But I really just want to test some companies before I switch my forum.
DNS changes take always some days for example, so you cant just switch companies with your main forum.
But if I could use for testing purposes an exact copy with another domain, I can work around on my main forum while trying to find a good company.

The licencing that Brogan quoted does explain that bit.

You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.
If you deviate from this e.g. the installation is open to the public, you allow more than just you and your website staff to access it etc then you are breaking the terms of the licence.

DNS changes don't take days. Generally a day at most, usually less. When I moved my website from the previous host to Nimbus Hosting it was only out of action for a short time. Also when I say I moved my website, actually they did all of the work, it was the most painless experience I've had. I'd highly recommend Nimbus Hosting if you are still looking for a VPS host.

But it says "for the purpose of testing the software". Technically I wont test Xenforo, but I understood the message. As long as I do a password, it should be ok. Thanks, this is great news!

And the last time, when I moved to my current hosting company I still had after 3 days an "account suspended" message due to the DNS referring to my old hosting company.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider them but must see if they offer a location where I want.

Last edited:
But it says "for the purpose of testing the software". Technically I wont test Xenforo, but I understood the message.

That will be fine.

A duplicate installation can be for any purpose, as long as it complies with the terms.

Top Bottom