1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I not require an email address?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by steven s, Sep 5, 2011.

1. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

We are using a single sign on mod using another database.
    Not everyone who registers has an email address so I get this error when a new user is created.

xxx Forum - Error
    Please enter a valid email.

Is there a setting so email address is not required?
    With this mod there is no need to verify email addresses if one existed.
  2. ragtek

ragtek Guest

No, there's no setting for this, because the mail adress is needed for several xf features (e-mail notification on conversation start / reply, password forgotten feature, new thread reply, spam cleaner notify ....)

Don't know how your SSO is working, but you could/should import "all necessary" data from the other database to the xf user database
  3. Floris

Floris Guest

You could customize your code to have their username-userid@example.com be populated automatically. Set mail notifications and site-mailings to be 'no' for these users.
  4. steven s

Interesting workaround. Thanks.
    The SSO in testing is working fairly well. We are importing data, unfortunately an email address is not required.
    I'm thinking of changing the error message for instructions to add an email address in the other database.
    Martok likes this.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

XenForo allows sign on using username or email address, which is why each member requires a unique valid email address.
  6. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

Can the email part not be skipped? Once the user is set up your able to remove the email address.
  7. steven s

I was surprised that I am able to delete the email address once the user is created.
    That may work.
  8. ragtek

ragtek Guest

I'm surprised too:D
    But it's working really.
    THey're checking explicit in the datawriter, if it's a user edit from the acp, and if yes, allow empty e-mail addresses:D

if ($this->getOption(self::OPTION_ADMIN_EDIT) && $email === '')
  9. steven s

I guess it could be considered a bug.
    I consider it a feature. :)
    Don't tell Kier or Mike. ;)
    ChemicalKicks likes this.
  10. ragtek

ragtek Guest

I've edited my post, it's definitely no bug^^

Edit: oh, admins are allowed to do many more things, while creating/editing users from acp
  11. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

Heh I discovered this when clearing out a couple hundred of bounced email, it was all worth it in the end :D