Can a Facebook-made account be converted to a normal one?

Been Told

I signed up using Facebook and now I see I can't change my e-mail address. So I would like to "convert" the account to a proper one.
How does that work? Or is it even possible?

BT, you will have to disassociate your account in your profile, log out, then use the password reset to have a new password sent to you. Then you can change it in your settings when you get back in.

I had to do this myself.

BT, you will have to disassociate your account in your profile, log out, then use the password reset to have a new password sent to you. Then you can change it in your settings when you get back in.

I had to do this myself.

I really hope that process is simplified somehow, or at least proper instructions on what to do.

I would think that people know when they create an account through the FB feature that their FB info will be used. If they don't want that, they should register the old-fashioned way.

But I do understand that people change their minds, and their email addy's so yeah, perhaps simplifying this process would be nice.

Making the process for getting a password as a FB user actually make sense has been on my todo list since we went live. :) (It is effectively the lost password thing, just triggerable.)

I suggest in the password panel if you registered through another site like facebook it would say "You registered through an external service and didn't enter a password. How about entering one now?" That way if you disambiguate your facebook account you can still log in.

You can't just enter a password though, otherwise if you stayed logged in (and you would if you leave your self logged into FB; it's part of their single sign on stuff) and I came to the forums as you, I could hijack your account. I'd like to be able to add a password check with disassociation, but I can't... If I could, then I could just let you set a password directly.

Oh didn't think about it that way. I think now the only viable way to add a password after registration has to be from an email.

Edit - I just un-first my suggestion, sorry, mike showed me the flaw in my plan :P

Top Bottom