1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Facebook-made account be converted to a normal one?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Been Told, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Been Told

Been Told Well-Known Member

I signed up using Facebook and now I see I can't change my e-mail address. So I would like to "convert" the account to a proper one.
    How does that work? Or is it even possible?

2. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I think you would have to do a password reminder... it then sends you an email to the recorded email address which you can use to login as a normal account.

Been Told likes this.
  3. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

BT, you will have to disassociate your account in your profile, log out, then use the password reset to have a new password sent to you. Then you can change it in your settings when you get back in.

I had to do this myself.

Been Told likes this.
  4. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I really hope that process is simplified somehow, or at least proper instructions on what to do.

Been Told likes this.
  5. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I would think that people know when they create an account through the FB feature that their FB info will be used. If they don't want that, they should register the old-fashioned way.

But I do understand that people change their minds, and their email addy's so yeah, perhaps simplifying this process would be nice.

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Making the process for getting a password as a FB user actually make sense has been on my todo list since we went live. :) (It is effectively the lost password thing, just triggerable.)

Onimua likes this.
  7. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I suggest in the password panel if you registered through another site like facebook it would say "You registered through an external service and didn't enter a password. How about entering one now?" That way if you disambiguate your facebook account you can still log in.

Been Told likes this.
  8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can't just enter a password though, otherwise if you stayed logged in (and you would if you leave your self logged into FB; it's part of their single sign on stuff) and I came to the forums as you, I could hijack your account. I'd like to be able to add a password check with disassociation, but I can't... If I could, then I could just let you set a password directly.

9. Been Told

Thanks very much guys and girls. :)
    I second Brandon's suggestion.

10. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Oh didn't think about it that way. I think now the only viable way to add a password after registration has to be from an email.

Edit - I just un-first my suggestion, sorry, mike showed me the flaw in my plan :p

11. Been Told

Great, now I'm left holding the baby! :(

:p

12. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Some things never change. lol