Calendar: Paid or Free Addon?

WhatChaMissin

Since Xenforo 1.0 will not be released with a calendar, I am wondering if the calendar will be released as a paid addon or will it be released as a free upgrade such as XF 1.5 or 2.0?

WP doesn't come with a calendar straight out of the box, it's a widget you add if requiring it. Since I have no use for it I haven't added it, yet another thing Xen has right, someone will knock up a widget; use it, abuse it, take it for walks, why does it need to be in the core product since I would imagine the vast majority of sites never actually use it intensively.

No forums don't tend to revolve around dates/events/releases etc - a little silly imo not including a default calendar! :)
Yea they do.
I thought it was always dumb for sites to have a month calender showing the days just because it was available.
But forums do have events worth noting on a calendar.
I dont think we need a "calendar". What we need is an event planning system.

Let people create a thread, with a date/time attached to it... and let people RSVP for it. A lot more simple. Of course, "Event Threads" need to be limited to specific event forums (similar to how you can create poll forums).

In a way, this is almost done. For an "Event Forum", just attach a date/time to the threads... and then you can use a the "like" system for the RSVPs.
I wouldn't be able to move my v4 site over to xF until I had a way for members to RSVP to an event.
I don't think using 'like' is adequate.

It's becoming obvious that this needs to be an add on mod...hopefully some talented coder can create one. Since not everyone wants or needs one while other of us can't live without one, an add on makes sense.
I certainly hope so. That is the one deal breaker I have for moving my v4 site over to XF.

In fact I paid the guy who made the v3 mod to port it over for v4.

It's becoming obvious that this needs to be an add on mod...hopefully some talented coder can create one. Since not everyone wants or needs one while other of us can't live without one, an add on makes sense.

Of course this could be modded by some of the bright sparks we have out there, my personal preference would be for it to be done by the XF team if at all possible (calendar and/or events system) as I would imagine it would need to be tied in with the core of XF. Not that I really know of course as I couldn't code myself out of a paper bag.

I certainly hope so. That is the one deal breaker I have for moving my v4 site over to XF.
My deal breaker porting over is the gallery...which can be a mod as well. I don't want to take away from core development time when we have talented coders who can come up with bridge software or add ons for the pieces we feel we need as individual forum owners.

Bottom line, a forum is a place to read and post...beyond that it is bloat. We just pick our own version of bloat. :)

I need my bloat. *stomps foot*
Drink water? :p

If there is a paid add-on for XF in calendar form I imagine it would be feature-packed and easily integrates to key areas in XF. I can't imagine Kier and Mike working on an add-on and not charging for it, but I'm sure it would be a fair price and will do things that it needs to do for a variety of people. If it's any better than vBulletin's calendar I'm sure it'll go far. :p

Toss in plugin capabilities into it so modders can expand on places the calendar doesn't currently do/will not do, and I'm sure we'll all win. ;)

Drink water?
rotf.gif

Quite honestly, this would make more sense as a plugin/application for XenForo at this point, simply because there are other things to concentrate on. Once I have a license and copy of the software in hand, and have studied the code base, creating a calendar for single, ranged and recurring events with monthly, weekly and daily views along with event viewing wouldn't be all that difficult.

Top Bottom