Calendar: Paid or Free Addon?

WhatChaMissin

Since Xenforo 1.0 will not be released with a calendar, I am wondering if the calendar will be released as a paid addon or will it be released as a free upgrade such as XF 1.5 or 2.0?

A calendar would have been nice to display the event of the first release of XenForo. We could have RSVP-ed it and make it an online social happening. We could have posted the event to facebook...

Carl - IPS said:
No forums don't tend to revolve around dates/events/releases etc - a little silly imo not including a default calendar! :)
Yea they do.
... forums do have events worth noting on a calendar.

The thread with date in title workaround doesn't work. Do you put that thread in a Calendar forum so dates are all together? Or do you put it with the topic thread that's relevant? sometimes copying it to SEVERAL topic threads?

I could do with a Calendar to save me doing it in a text document to download which is clunky. It's on a work forum bristling with deadlines and meeting times.

This would make an excellent mod. WHERE is the mods forum .... PLEASE there are so many posts now saying this is a good mod we need them collected together.

But I tried to use the VB calendar and it's soooo awkward to use I gave up.
It needs the XF genius to design forms so I can put in what I need without having to rearrange MY data to fit alien boxes.

For example I'd like to load in about 15 weekly meetings for 3 usergroups - 45 meetings in all.
I don't want to load all 45 individually so I need an option to duplicate

Calendar Duplication page - bit like basing a forum setup on existing forum.
... Event Title, snippet, description.
... Display SELECT immediate (default) / or Start date (type in date in set format) . End date N/A or date (type in date in set format)
Below the form offers SELECT on radio buttons - quicker than dropdowns.
.... SELECT One-off (default) /Weekly / Monthy / Annual buttons.
.... One-Off selection then expands to SELECT for Date, type in set format plus Time Y/N. If Y select time on radio buttons with N/A for start/ finish as first option.
..... If weekly selected expands to ask Day of Week buttons/ Day of Month, Annual Date if month or annual was selected
plus Time start / Time end/ N/A (no time display required) buttons
.... SELECTusergroups or N/A (default) . If usergroup/s selected expand - Select usergroups who have an event at this day and time,
Usergroup/s selected appear as links + Send notification Y/N default N, click to Send to all.
Ask Edit info sent to usergroup? Y/N default Y.
Click a usergroup link to edit duplicate form for differences on e.g. title of event, description, date to display, time start end N.
Usergroup option to send notification email appears here.
Back to list of usergroups this one changed to indicated Edited + icon to Send/ Not send notify.

The Calendar in vBulletin got very little attention after vB2.0. It didn't support .cal or other event files, it didn't really handle events properly, it didn't support any kind of "day of the month" or "third Saturday of the month" type of setups. It had very little social aspect with notifications, invitations, available/unavailable, etc. Lack of adoption of vBulletin's Calendar does not mean that forums did not need a calendar. Just that vBulletin's Calendar did not deliver sufficient functionality to find widespread adoption. This is another case of people adding apples and oranges and getting lemons.

GFodder said:
For our site a full blown calendar isn't necessary, however an event type system would certainly be very nice.
It's worth pointing out that the lion's share of the programming is the events system, with the social aspects of signing up, subscriptions, following an event, time management, etc. The trivially easy part is displaying a calendar by day, month, year. That's frankly the fun/debug part of the programming. The hard part is handling time zone differences, events that span multiple days, people who are able to sign up for a few days of a multi-day event, holidays that fall on a different day each year, etc.

Unfortunately I know of no obvious open source PHP calendar that has set itself above the rest and is worthy of integration with XenForo. So I think most people use Google Calendar.

I think this would be a useful built-in feature of XenForo, as it would leverage Conversations, Events, Notifications, Alerts, etc. XenForo's plugin architecture would have to be robust indeed to fully support all the ideas I've got for a Calendar as an add-on. Time will tell. ;)

I use Google Calendar on my VB site. I like being able to use Google permissions that are separate from my forum permissions. That way anyone can see it, but only those with permission can add to it. We use a forum to post events and a mod adds them to the calendar. Links can be placed in topic forums. And the calendar can be shared with other sites.

I don't use the API just the iframe.

maybe they could intergrate it with google calender? my forums for my local town, so events is kind of important to me >.<

if not a calender maybe an Events list of some sort, maybe someone will make when it goes live.

I do not want this as stock feature. It was useless on vB for me....and I do not approve of this.
If this indeed is a stock feature, make it toggle-able.

It was indeed useless on VB because it was drastically incomplete.

It's quite possible to disable it there though and any Calendar here will I am certain be an option too.

Hi Guys

I am not sure why you all think vBulletin's calendar is so bad I manage to list events on it okay. It has "every third Sunday of the month", single day and several day event capabilities. I am not sure what Feldon30 meant by "handling different time zones" surely an event posted is in the time zone of the place the event is held so other time zones are irrelevant, you can hardly attend an event in a different time and space unless you are Dr Who.

Regards

Dereck

Top Bottom