Buying soon, a couple questions!

Trev805

Hi, my name's Trevor! I've done a little research, and have decided I definitely want to go with XenForo for my forum. I've only got a couple questions before I start moving on this:

-My domain (I host with HostGator, if that helps answer and of these questions :) ) is still in the process of 'propagating,' and should be fully operational in the next 24 hours, but as of now it's still showing the HostGator parked page. My question regarding this is, I plan on paying the extra bit for the pro installation (so as to avoid as many screw-ups on my part as possible, haha), should I wait until the domain has propagated to make my purchase? Not sure how quick you guys are about these things, but I'd hate to purchase and then have you guys waiting on me. And do I need to set up an FTP account for you guys prior to this?

-My second question is a little bit more broad. The amount of knowledge I have on this kind of stuff is pitiful, so forgive me for any stupid questions. I have a tiny bit of a background in HTML, I had a Dragonball Z website when I was in school, hahaha. Anyway, I've tried to do a little research on this MySQL and php stuff, as it says that the paid installation doesn't cover those two things, and I haven't been able to find much... Are these two things that I need to take care of prior to my purchase?

Any time is much appreciated, I've been lurking here a lot while doing my forum research and you guys have a great community!

Question 1 - the purchase process can be almost instant, unless there's problems with payment. If they were to do the pro install for you, you'd have to give them a way into your web site to upload the files, so I would assume FTP account would be needed. However, doing it yourself is quite easy, if you want to save the cash and give it a try. Waiting for your domain name to propagate doesn't matter. You can still access your site by its IP address and such.

Question 2 - It's not required to know php and HTML...although, a little knowledge about both can help. You'll interact with XenForo software mostly through its user interface. And now that I reread your post, I'm assuming you're referring to the minimum requirements for XenForo to work...Hostgator should have that covered for you :)

Awesome, I appreciate the speedy response! :) Like I said, I've been very impressed with the community, looking forward to spending more time here!
Cheers and good luck!

Also, just to show you how easy it is to install. The steps are:

• extract files from ZIP file and upload to a directory on your web server.
  • create database from your host's control panel
  • Go to the URL of your site (or IP address) (eg: http://www.example.com/install, or http://yourIPAddress/install) and add '/install' to the address.
  • Follow the installation instructions that follow.

Sounds easy enough, just not quite sure what you mean by creating a database in step 2?
XenForo uses a MySQL database to store all your user information, threads, posts, etc. In Hostgator, they will have an area where you can create that database. It will allow you to name the database and create a username and password for it. You'll use that username and password when installing XenForo so it knows how to connect to the database and gain access.

Okay, so do I need to created that database in the directory in which I'll be placing the forum software? And I plan on installing it on a sub-domain, in case that helps at all.

Actually, one more quick question, if that's alright? In your third step for installing you say to go to the domain/install, if I have the forum installed on forum.mydomain.com, do I go to forum.mydomain.com/install?

Haha, sorry for the 21 questions, and again, I very much appreciate all the help!

Awesome, thanks for all the help, everyone! About to dive in! :)
Should you need help setting up your new XenForo site .... There are plenty of people here willing to help you.

I actually have it down to a science these days and can typically have it done before most people can reply to a PM. lol :p

Its really easy :)

I'm definitely impressed so far, a lot of the things that I thought were going to be headaches even leading up to installation have proven a breeze!

There is an option to have strictly the forum, right? I've pretty much got my blog straightened out, and was just looking for the awesome forum :)

I'm definitely impressed so far, a lot of the things that I thought were going to be headaches even leading up to installation have proven a breeze!

There is an option to have strictly the forum, right? I've pretty much got my blog straightened out, and was just looking for the awesome forum :)
Yes, there is an option.

Capture.webp

Okay, first snag... There's gotta be a way to upload more than one file at once, right? I couldn't find it so I started to upload the files individually and then noticed there was folder, with folders inside of them, would I Have to create those folders myself in cPanel and then upload accordingly? Seems like there's gotta be a way to drag and drop, or something.

Top Bottom