Buying a mobile (cell) phone & contract in the US

Do I understand correctly that a return trip would have been 1/3 of the price of the one-way?

If so, why didn't you buy return tickets and just leave the "back to UK" part unused?
The stipulation in the relocation package (paid for by my wife's company) was for one way flights only.

Bah!

Metro PCS doesn't support the Note 5 so back to the drawing board.

The stipulation in the relocation package (paid for by my wife's company) was for one way flights only.

Bah!

Metro PCS doesn't support the Note 5 so back to the drawing board.

Since when. It's available on T-Mobile right? You can take ANY compatible phone to MetroPCS.

I can grab a one plus two off the internet no one at Metro has heard of it walk and have them activate it.

So it's just a case of configuring a new APN then.

Metro PCS don't do themselves any favours favors by not providing that info'.

So it's just a case of configuring a new APN then.

Metro PCS don't do themselves any favours favors by not providing that info'.

You shouldn't even need to set the APN. Seriously I was using the APN settings for T-Mobile lol. All the APN settings for T-Mobile, Metro PCS, and Straight Talk showed up when they put the sim in my Nexus 5. Or maybe it was because it was a T-Mobile branded phone I forget. But either way the Google Play version would have worked fine as well.

Speaking of which run Nexus 5 through the checker. I was on them with it for 2 years. Not listed is it? lol

Edit - @Brogan in fact THAT guy is using a Verizon Note 5 no wonder he had to add the APN lol

Alright @Brogan been meaning to do this. In addition to some side by side price comparisons if you haven't already. I actually should lay out the pro's and cons of MetroPCS.

Pros
  • If you use their phones you qualify for an upgrade every 3 months. You still qualify even on BYOD so its a plus if you break your phone and can't afford a nice shiney new one you can pick one from them at a discount.
  • They will unlock their phones after 3 months of service.
  • They do offer tethering on their phones/service.
Cons
  • Sim & Phone are binded. You can't just swap the sim into another device and go. You will need to go into a store (maybe be able to call customer service) either way its like an $8 dollar charge or so for a new sim.
  • Unlike most prepaid providers and more like a post paid. If you pay late, instead of the service cycle starting on the date you paid, it stays the same. It's due on say the 5th and you pay 2 weeks late, just like post paid you miss out on 2 weeks of service.
  • While they do offer tethering, its been my experience you need to use their tether app. You can try and acquire and sideload it. But on my Nexus i had to use tether work around methods otherwise I got a t-mobile notice about not having tethering.

Remember that the biggest difference with most prepaid providers is you can't roam on other networks. Not sure if this has changed but traditionally if you had Boost which is owned and runs on Sprint, you can't roam on Verizon even though you technically could. MetroPCS is a first party MVNO of T-Mobile, where as Cricket is owned by AT&T. Meanwhile Tracfone offers service with any of the 4 through Straight talk, there are other providers out there.

These are some single line plans, not including available specials, family plans etc:
upload_2016-5-7_7-16-12.webp

I personally have T-Mobile. I actually live in Chicago so the coverage isn't bad at all with their LTE network. I switched to them from AT&T due to no long term contract commitment, international data coverage (I travel for a living so this was important) plus their unlimited plan. They do have the option for you to roll the cost of your device into your monthly payment which is nice if you don't want that hefty 600 buck cost up front. The other thing I like about them is the ability to use WIFI as a tower. When I'm inside my house, I use my WIFI mostly for calls and not the actual cell tower. This works as well anywhere including overseas. All in all, I've been very pleased with them. Naturally, like most carriers, you will find some areas where the signal isn't as strong but I've only encountered that once in the middle of no where Ohio.

Top Bottom