Buying a mobile (cell) phone & contract in the US

Now watch TOMBSTONE a few times and you will fit right in :) We have got to work on that accent of yours!
Actually, in the area he's moving he needs to watch this :p

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This ad is currently running on the tube network :D

CZWsO90WkAEal_N.jpg

Thats only for Texans to worry about.

zing!
Nope...
Deliverance was shot primarily in Rabun County in northeastern Georgia. The canoe scenes were filmed in the Tallulah Gorge southeast of Clayton and on the Chattooga River. This river divides the northeastern corner of Georgia from the northwestern corner of South Carolina. Additional scenes were shot in Salem, South Carolina.

:whistle:

T-Moblie / MetroPCS is the way to go. They will give a phone to anyone (no contract) and the service is pretty speedy (in my area at least).

No, we won't be needing it for that - it's purely for US based calls, GPS navigation, internet via data/wifi, etc.

If we ever contact family abroad from here in the UK (to Turkey for example), we typically use Skype video.

Oh, and the area is Raleigh, NC.
Just wanted to pop in and say welcome to NC! My family and I are located in Charlotte, about 3 hours to the west. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help with your transition.

Haven't read the whole thread yet to see if your mobile question was answered, but prepaid is definitely the way to go. Cricket is AT&T, Boost & Virgin are Sprint, and T-Mobile has their own as well as many resellers.

And that's still the same state! :D

Three hours driving in the UK would take you from the east coast to the west coast.
Get use to the idea of long distance traveling here. It's 5 to 5 1/2 hours to my mother-in-law's house at the other end of the state I'm in (PA). That does include stops for Starbuck's coffee and bathroom breaks (so we can have more Starbuck's). :D

And that's an improvement from 12 to 13 hours from where we were before. ;)

Get use to the idea of long distance traveling here. It's 5 to 5 1/2 hours to my mother-in-law's house at the other end of the state I'm in (PA). That does include stops for Starbuck's coffee and bathroom breaks (so we can have more Starbuck's). :D

12 hours would get you from the south of England to the north of Scotland here... The size of the US is just insane.

Just having a car is going to be a novelty.

We haven't owned one for 10 years and I've only driven twice in that time.

You may want to stay off the US highways for awhile. They are dangerous, down south. They use sea shell oil in the tar that becomes very slick in the rain, many folks "fly off" the off ramps because they do not slow down. Also, here in Canada, those coming off a highway either meets a traffic light, or a stop sign. In the states those coming off an highway do not, and they do not slow down. My first time driving along a road where I had to stop for those coming off a highway scared the crap out of me. It is something I never got used to.

I just drove from Pennsylvania - New York border to Savannah, Georgia on Sunday. Took me 16 hours... that also included meals and restroom breaks...

Great way to see the country side.

You may want to stay off the US highways for awhile. They are dangerous, down south. They use sea shell oil in the tar that becomes very slick in the rain, many folks "fly off" the off ramps because they do not slow down. Also, here in Canada, those coming off a highway either meets a traffic light, or a stop sign. In the states those coming off an highway do not, and they do not slow down. My first time driving along a road where I had to stop for those coming off a highway scared the crap out of me. It is something I never got used to.
I have an office in northern Pennsylvania and in Savannah, Georgia. I haven't noticed the roads in the south any more slippery in the rain than up north. Of course, careless drivers anywhere can increase the risk of driving. I don't see more accidents in the south.

My biggest peeve down south are the slow poke drivers going slower than the speed limit in the passing lanes.

Just having a car is going to be a novelty.

We haven't owned one for 10 years and I've only driven twice in that time.
Just don't fall into the trap of taking the car to places that are within walking distance. It's bad for both the car and your health.

Funny story.. Part of the appeal of where we are now was that there is a supermarket across the street from us. One day my wife comes to me and says she's running to the store for sugar and asked if I wanted anything. I asked her to pick up some coffee since I was just about out of it in my office. As she left I decided to take a break and follow her outside to have a cigarette (yes I smoke). As I get out the door, I see she's unlocking her car door! So, I walk behind her car and ask her what she's doing. She tells me she's going to the store, and I reply with another question 'what store?'. She points at the supermarket across the street. I just stood there looking at her with this dumbfounded look on my face and she asked me several times 'what?'. Finally after about 5 or 6 'What's' I said 'you're actually going to drive across the street to pick up sugar and coffee?'. She finally got my point and walked over, but it did take me a couple of years to completely break her of the habit of jumping in the car for everything.

Top Bottom