Partial fix Browser Issue - Chrome 37 empty password field

soloarquitectura

Sometimes when I try to log into XenForo websites (like this) using Google Chrome 37 (x86 and x64), I get empty password field.

I guess we can not do anything to fix it from here :(

This started to happen to me yesterday. No big deal in my opinion, its just Chrome starting it's downward spiral just like all the other browsers went through.

Mine is updated to 39, and it's there as well. Probably a browser bug, so maybe Mike can report it more specifically to XF.

I'm going to have to half-disable our Chrome autofill background color fix code. There seems to be a change where the autofill password isn't available to JS in all cases. I suspect it may be related to user interaction.

The autofill fix also created potentially strange bugs due to the method it needs to use (element cloning), along with the fact that it has to run after the window.load event, which means there could be references held to the old value. As such, we're no only using this in the login form (where the yellow is very obvious in the default code).

This all stems out of a 4+ year old bug where Chrome forces autofill fields to yellow. As such, you're probably going to see more yellow. It's worth noting that this was originally done because Chrome forced a yellow background but didn't change the text color, so you ended up with white text on yellow in the login bar. They have since fixed this part.

Will the same fix be rolled out to the customer site too in the future? It seems to be affected by the same bug.

Try cancelling a refresh of the page halfway through the page load. The password should be there.

Whatever happens, the password seems to get removed only on a full page load. I'm guessing it's JavaScript related.

It is JS related. Mike said as much.

This issue was mostly fixed in RC2. Most parts of the XenForo site (including non-forum areas) share a common codebase (albeit some of it somewhat outdated) so in theory the same or similar fix should be able to be rolled out there too. I was just asking if that was the case.

Yeah, I'm just saying that the autofill does appear to be working however something is causing it (the password) to get removed after a full page load.

Top Bottom