XF 1.1 broken avatar and thumbnails images withen Data folder

xml

avatars and thumbnails that are stored in data folder are all broken suddenly today with no reason

the avatar i am using here in xenforo cant be uploaded in my forum and i get this error message:
The contents of the uploaded image do not match the file's extension

I checked the data folder and it is existed with all its subfolders and files and nothing is missing and the permissions are 777 for the main and subfolders

I even restarted my server and that did not solve the problem

any idea whats going on?

when I try to check the path of avatars and thumbnails to see if I can load either one directly in the browser I am getting page 403 permission denied !!

You may need to contact your host to get some more info. Some times they limit access to directories/files that are 0777 or 0666, in which case 0755 would be sufficient. (This only comes up when using suPHP or the like and then the data / internal_data chmodding is not necessary and the installer would not prompt you to do it.)

Hello Mike

My issue is with data folder content only, the internal_data folder is working with no issues and both folders have the permissions of 777

both folders are located on the slave hard disk and symbolic linked outside the community files folder

the following lines are added to config.php to handle the location of both folders (data & internal_data) :
$config['internalDataPath'] = '../internal_data';
$config['externalDataPath'] = '../data';
$config['externalDataUrl'] = '../data';

I found that i cant upload attachments also , i get this error message:
The contents of the uploaded image do not match the file's extension

there is nothing wrong with the extension ,its a jpg file!!

that was my avatar here when i download it on my pc it got .jpg extension which was not the correct extension

There is obviously a permission or ownership issue with the directory.

As for the file extension, my guess is it's a .png with a .jpg extension.
This is typical for avatars.

Well the server error log will give more information as to the 403. That's what you need to resolve. There's very little that we can do to help there - the error log should give enough information to help with diagnosis though.

The error about the extension is normal and unrelated.

I found in the Apache error log many lines of this:
Code:
[Sat Apr 27 22:37:36 2013] [error] [client 178.61.180.166] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /home/vbcom/public_html/data, referer: http://www.XXXXX.com/community/threads/333210/

Thank you all for your replies

I brought back data folder to be in the primary hard disk under public_html folder and every thing is working fine now

So there was a reason then.

It was working fine for over a year but only yesterday for unknown reason the data folder symbolic link was not responding correctly although I double checked the permissions, so I had to unlink data folder and move it from slave drive to primary drive under public_html folder

The thing is internal_data folder is in slave drive also and responding correctly to symbolic linking, so it was not understandable for me why internal_data folder is still working and data folder stop working although both folders are under the same conditions of permissions, symbolic linking and same location on the slave drive, so after I gave up I just did the easy solution which is moving data folder from salve to primary drive :)

The avatar images are broken when you are viewing a forum list, however when you view the actual thread i find all the avatars to be in their place. I came here to post this and i find even here the avatar images in forum list is broken, i believe some testing is going on with the codes, did anyone else face this issue.

Top Bottom