Branding Question

Hi all, I plan on buying the software with the branding, but I have a setup like this:

example.com/categoryname/
example.com/categoryname/discussion

where the first page is information related to a specific topic, and the latter would represent the forum for that topic. However I'd also like to include a miniature "recent threads" box on the first page, that would use some of your code and database data. However it would be great if I did not have the footer here because that would be misleading, is this okay to omit? The branding would still appear on the actual forum pages.

Sorry if something like this was asked before, couldn't find anything.

Good luck with the lawsuit, everyone's supporting you! In the long run it will be great for your image.

If you have a homepage, there is no need for that data to be on it unless you have done it via the xenforo system using its template, ie. a false redirect or such. If you have built a static page / using another cms, and only importing data via an RSS stream or such, there is no need, as that is not xenforo software.

The actual license is pretty clear though, being that you cannot modify the branding in any way. If you are doing something using the xenforo templates / software, then the license is clear... no modification of it at all unless you purchase a branding free option.

I have a static page at domain.com, which doesn't encompass xenforo branding as its not part of the software, then the community is located at domain.com/community which does carry the branding along with any pages directly built through the xenforo software.

If you have a homepage, there is no need for that data to be on it unless you have done it via the xenforo system using its template, ie. a false redirect or such. If you have built a static page / using another cms, and only importing data via an RSS stream or such, there is no need, as that is not xenforo software.

The actual license is pretty clear though, being that you cannot modify the branding in any way. If you are doing something using the xenforo templates / software, then the license is clear... no modification of it at all unless you purchase a branding free option.

I have a static page at domain.com, which doesn't encompass xenforo branding as its not part of the software, then the community is located at domain.com/community which does carry the branding along with any pages directly built through the xenforo software.

This is how I would understand the rules being applied in practice. Would appreciate clarification from XF :)

Thank you guys for your help.

actual license is pretty clear though, being that you cannot modify the branding in any way. If you are doing something using the xenforo templates / software, then the license is clear... no modification of it at all unless you purchase a branding free option.

Well I do not know the internal structure of xenForo so I do not about its templating options, however I am quite sure I would have to communicate on a dynamic PHP level, not just an rss feed or so. But it is still at the same not the software itself. But I see your point and I guess the branding free option is necessary. I looked at the license but did not find a clear mandate about your second sentence about no modification, can you point that out?

If you are creating a page which utilises the XenForo styles, templates, css, etc, then the copyright must be in place.

If, for example, you are just using PHP to pull the latest threads for display on a home page, then you don't need the copyright.

I looked at the license but did not find a clear mandate about your second sentence about no modification, can you point that out?

License Agreement said:
All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited.
Vbulletin one says something similar, but then staff have publicly stated that you can delink it, modify it, rearrange it, remove version numbers from it, etc... This one is clear and then the posts I have read by staff have reiterated the license agreement... no amendments without buying a branding free option, which allows you to remove it completely.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom