1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought branding free XF, now what?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by danielwerner, Feb 5, 2011.

1. danielwerner

danielwerner Active Member

Hi!

I just bought the branding free option, and need to remove the branding. How do I do that without doing a fresh install? I downloaded a new full xenforo package and overwrote all files, but no difference. I don't want to install everything over because then all posts will be removed too.

How do I do this? :)

Thanks,

Edit: Also, I removed the install-lock.php, does this matter? I can't replace it since it is generated by the software and thus not in the install package.

Edit 2: Also... :p I'm a bit worried that I've messed up something with replacing all the files. I haven't, have I? I mean, all information are stored in the database, right?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure if a different footer template is included with the branding free option or not but if not, you can edit it to remove the copyright information.

Specifically this line:
    Code:
    <div id="copyright">{xen:phrase xenforo_copyright}</div>

3. danielwerner

danielwerner Active Member

Is it just the footer link which needs to be changed? I thought there perhaps were other hard coded branding too. But if it's not, I'm all set. :)

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Redownload the package, upload the files, then go to /install/ and reimport the master data.

If you replaced the data or internal_data directories (or config.php), that's a problem; you'll really need to restore those from a backup. You can just recreate internal_data/install-lock.php as an empty file. It just needs to be there.

Brogan likes this.
  5. Jattitude

Jattitude Member

"Upgrade package only" or the whole package?

6. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

The upgrade package is fine. The only real difference between the two is the upgrade package doesn't contain data/ and internal_data/ directories, so that there's no risk of overwriting them with empty folders and thus losing all your attachments.

Jattitude likes this.
  7. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

You cannot overwrite files in a folder with an empty folder, so your attachments are safe.

Jattitude likes this.
  8. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

That's really up to how the FTP client decides to handle that situation. Some do a delete-and-recreate type of thing on upload. I agree though that the most common ones (and any worth using) probably won't do that.