Not a bug Bookmarks toollbar red dot over favicon continues to show

AndyB

Affected version
XF2 beta 6
In Firefox for macOS I see the little red dot when there is nothing in my Inbox or Alerts.

This is in the Bookmarks toolbar.

1507993593848.webp

Does it disappear if you click the bookmark? I've had similar issue with the Live Update add-on doing it but if you click the bookmark it updates.

There's not a lot that can be done about this.

The way it works is it literally changes the favicon image dynamically and therefore that's what the browser will pick up.

It should update at some point depending on how your browser decides to manage that, but there's nothing we can do to control that behaviour.

I will add this, however... there's perhaps a mechanism we can use to invalidate the favicon using a cache buster but that would then essentially mean it is downloaded re-cached on every page load, which doesn't seem ideal.

If it's something you wish to switch off on your own forums, you can. In the Admin CP search for "Display visitor count".

The favicon is cached in Firefox and if you happen to make a bookmark while the red dot is showing then it's very difficult to remove the favicon and it will always show the red dot. In order to remove it you have to install a Firefox add-on called SQLite and delete the favicon from the database.

I think a better solution to this issue would be to make the default selection be "Count in title" so that this problem does not occur. If you take a look at other major sites like Facebook and Twitter, they don't mess with the icon, I suspect for this reason.

1508001842429.webp

Last edited:
I got this happen just today. Has been fine up until now and I have changed nothing recently so I don't understand why it should suddenly happen now.

Your browser will periodically recache the favicon for a site. If it happens to do that after we’ve programmatically modified it then that’s what will get cached.

Top Bottom