Lack of interest Block feature

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Shelley

Just a suggestion with regards to a block feature residing in postbit (text based) next to edit from when a user posts the block appears and members have the option to block user from the thread and this thread only (not global block) and it blocks all their existing posts and future posts in thread.

Hopefully I explained that correctly.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Do you mean more of a silence feature... So you personally will not see any more posts from that person but they will still be able to post and other will still see it?

I quite like this idea as if there is one particular person you just don't get on with you can silence them and you can continue using the forums and they wouldn't know any better... It doesn't hurt feelings and you are happy...

+1 from me...

Exactly what I meant. Would be a nice feature and could stamp out friction in specific threads if they were to occur.

The ignore feature in vBulletin was always rather useless in my opinion. You would still see threads made by the person you ignored, and if he / she posted you would still see the 'this post has been ignored, click here to read it' bit which kinda beats the purpose. Also, when you receive a personal message from that user, it would become an invisible pm which you can't delete or watch as long as you have him ignored. Which is rather stupid.

I believe Shelley is suggesting to be able to ignore someone on a per thread basis, unless I misunderstood, which is completely possible.

The ignore feature in vBulletin was always rather useless in my opinion. You would still see threads made by the person you ignored, and if he / she posted you would still see the 'this post has been ignored, click here to read it' bit which kinda beats the purpose. Also, when you receive a personal message from that user, it would become an invisible pm which you can't delete or watch as long as you have him ignored. Which is rather stupid.

I never used the ignore feature in vB but I agree that does sound stupid....

I do like the idea of a silence feature though, and I hope Mike and Kier can build a really decent one...

The difficulty would be that you would still need some indication that they participated in the thread or it may become a bit dis-conjunct, but maybe a simple notification at the top saying "this thread contains posts from users you have silenced (click here to show them)".

One notification for all messages then instead of seeing the "This message has been ignored" for every message...

I believe Shelley is suggesting to be able to ignore someone on a per thread basis, unless I misunderstood, which is completely possible.

Hmmm re-reading it I think you are right and I am not sure I like that idea as that would cause cause more confusion... I think it should be a global ignore

So do I, just pointing out some problems with the ignore feature from the past.

A Friend and Foe feature would be useful.

So when you start a new conversation for example you can just quickly click on a friends name(s), rather than having to type it (them).

Messages from all foes would be blocked/hidden in forums, watched threads, feeds and conversations.

I definitely want the block feature to work like facebook...where there is no evidence that a particular blocked person posted anything. I know quoted posts make that a bit more difficult...but, as a programmer, I know a simple regex can be used to remove quoted posts from unblocked user's posts :)

Exactly what I meant. Would be a nice feature and could stamp out friction in specific threads if they were to occur.

If the people are that much of a nuisance, why not ban them from a thread? If one person is bothered, others probably are too.

?

I still stand by it being extended to a full fledged ignore system.

Especially if it would be possible to make the feature extensible to modifications, so developers could use it as well (I already have 3-4 uses for this ;p).

If two users are having that much of an issue with each other, the moderating team isn't doing their job. Letting the membership decide who can and who cannot view or participate in individual threads should never be allowed.

I actually really like this idea of per-thread ignoring/blocking. I have found that some users can be particularly annoying or upsetting in one thread, but be totally manageable or even likable in other threads throughout the forum.

Since some people would prefer a global ignore system, there can be an option presented upon choosing to ignore someone:
Of course, we can please both crowds by offering two options after choosing to block someone:
  • Ignore username...
    • ...in this thread only
    • ...globally

A Friend and Foe feature would be useful.

So when you start a new conversation for example you can just quickly click on a friends name(s), rather than having to type it (them).

Messages from all foes would be blocked/hidden in forums, watched threads, feeds and conversations.

The term 'foes' seems far too negative to me. It seems like it would encourage friction/tension rather than try to negate it. :)

It's just a figure of speech.

Either way as long as there is some kind of ignore list which non-friends can be added to ;)

No user is every aware they're being ignored by another so I don't see how it adds to any friction.
It stops problems IMO as they just ignore that user from then on.

If two users are having that much of an issue with each other, the moderating team isn't doing their job. Letting the membership decide who can and who cannot view or participate in their thread should never be allowed.

I don't believe the idea here is to disallow the user from participating in the thread. It's to allow each member the option to hide a user's posts from a particular thread. Let's say we're in a thread debating how horrible John Doe was in his latest movie, and I'm getting fed up with your B.S. comments, I should be able to ignore* you for that thread only and/or globally.

*Ignore = I see no remnant of your posts in the thread.

Top Bottom