Bing copying Google results!

This was the first I heard about it, but I think they got it exactly right: Why is Google so hypocritical about Bing

Excerpt, bolding is mine:
To an extent though, how many people would immediately say no and then end complaining that their site isn't getting any traffic? On one hand I can see why people are against search engines, but I think there's far more benefit from letting them index content.

A lot of large companies tend to do similar things that Google does, so there's no real point in arguing that. The key here is when a large company is directly copying its competition and trying to hide it. This is worse than IPB vs. vB feature similarity debates. ;) It's fine if you want to do something similar than your competitor and taking what works, but to blatantly copy it? It's something I'd see a startup/small company try. With as many intelligent people working at Microsoft, they couldn't do something better.

You know what, how about we just forget about all of this? Let's just do this and get it over with:

bing_google.webp

I have no love for either of them - Microsoft's browser wars directly impacted my life, and Google has somehow become the Internet Dictator. If they took each other down in a search engine war, I'd consider that a big win for the internet.

I'd have to strenuously disagree, I rely on Google's services for an awful lot of my online activities.

Because they've somehow taken over the entire internet. And beyond. And once you rely totally on something to the point where it can't disappear or you're screwed - they own you.

Because they've somehow taken over the entire internet. And beyond. And once you rely totally on something to the point where it can't disappear or you're screwed - they own you.
There are plenty of services on which I depend from all manner of providers, both on and offline, and none of them own me. Relying on services provided by others is one of the defining factors of civilized society.

There are plenty of services on which I depend from all manner of providers, both on and offline, and none of them own me. Relying on services provided by others is one of the defining factors of civilized society.

I didn't mean it literally (and didn't mean to offend you), I meant that once you (plural!) rely on something utterly to the point where it can't be taken away without ruining your quality of life, and there's only one source of it, they can start pulling stuff that you'll just have to put up with -- because you (plural) need them.

Kind of like oil.

I didn't mean it literally (and didn't mean to offend you), I meant that once you (plural!) rely on something utterly to the point where it can't be taken away without ruining your quality of life, and there's only one source of it, they can start pulling stuff that you'll just have to put up with -- because you (plural) need them.

Kind of like oil.
The great thing about a free market is that should one of those bigger companies/resources fall, there's usually someone else to pick up the slack and take over as the go-to company. Using your example, if we ran out of oil, that would only drive people to develop better electric cars and focus on alternative fuels a lot faster.

In this case however, should Google fail, Bing would be in trouble. :p

Using your example, if we ran out of oil, that would only drive people to develop better electric cars and focus on alternative fuels a lot faster. :p
At the risk of going too far off-topic, so far the only alternative fuel has been converting food into fuel and driving up food prices everywhere. Electricity and hydrogen are not "sources", they are just delivery systems.

I'm not sure there is a smiley that sufficiently expresses my incredulity. Are you sure that whatever you're taking isn't on the banned substance list?

Coffee isn't banned yet :)

I should say that I'm happier with IE9 than Chrome 9 (which keeps crashing, and having small but annoying bugs in javascript apps).

At the risk of going too far off-topic, so far the only alternative fuel has been converting food into fuel and driving up food prices everywhere. Electricity and hydrogen are not "sources", they are just delivery systems.
I was thinking about hydroelectric and solar power actually. If we suddenly lose oil there will be a scramble to find efficient ways to use another power source. In this instance, should Google have gone down, so would Bing if they were relying heavily on Google's searches. As was mentioned earlier, relying on something in case that suddenly goes away may leave you temporarily stranded, but eventually you'll find new sources and those sources will have step up to the plate to handle the inflow of customers.

Kind of like oil.

But once oil is gone, we can simply just find a new source of power like solar or hydroelectric, and continue on our way to driving/flying/turning on lights and computers.

As side note: In the end, trying to make Google or Bing seem like the only bad guy is a moot point as both companies (and pretty much any large corporation) tend to have shady bits attached to them. I guess it just comes down to who can be the sneakiest about it and in this case it wasn't Bing. :p

But once oil is gone, we can simply just find a new source of power like solar or hydroelectric, and continue on our way to driving/flying/turning on lights and computers.

Simply? If there were anything simple about it, wouldn't we have done it already?

Simply? If there were anything simple about it, wouldn't we have done it already?
Not if oil's still available and highly profitable. ;) Why start heavily funding research and development of those methods if you still have a cash cow to milk? Anyway, I don't think we should derail this thread into such a topic.

Google Rules! :p

Coffee isn't banned yet :)

I should say that I'm happier with IE9 than Chrome 9 (which keeps crashing, and having small but annoying bugs in javascript apps).
He's coming from a developer's stand point. I haven't touched it, but IE9 is supposed to take strides in the "web standards," arena. But anything before that, developers must work fight with to get minor details to work properly. I give any main stream developer credit for dealing with such a horrid task.

Pshaw, Microsoft is only evolving search by replicating and adding. Livejournal > Myspace > Facebook.

If Microsoft scraped Youtube content then maybe it wouldn't be buffering all the time. I believe that the competition is healthy and keeps everyone on their toes. If battles are being instigated between companies, ambition is at an all time high.

An embarrassment only if I tried to Google a few basic subjects and came up with nothing but spam on page 1.

Microsoft pokes the bear, we may actually get something new. Be easy on them, Windows Mobile is going to be really really rough on them.

:p

Top Bottom