Biggest Existing Board that has Migrated to xF?

I have imported my forum into XF B1 as a test, everything seems to be ok but the import took 47 hours alone for the posts and threads.

Stats:
Threads: 239,000
Users imported: 24,000

I have spoken to Kier about it as the systems were mostly idle during the import which was baffling. Once B2 arrives I shall try the reimport again...

I have done a test import on my board, which has just shy of 800,000 posts and 6,000 members, and it went without a hitch. Took around 4 hours in total once I'd rebuilt the search etc.

Not running it live yet because, as Kier says, the software is still in beta but I'd be happy going live with it just now functionality and stability wise.

Yep... just finished a test install on a 4.x with 160k posts and it all went well bar the CMS content didn't come over... a few niggles, but otherwise good overall. Whilst that transfer software improves, I just need a few more mods to finalise things, but I am happy to such up a loss on traffic unless I get someone to write specific rewrites from 4.x URL's to XF URL's...

I have imported my forum into XF B1 as a test, everything seems to be ok but the import took 47 hours alone for the posts and threads.

Stats:

Ah ah ... I hadn't realised someone had already imported 1mil+ posts - I'll probably abandon my attempt then as you've effectively proved an import beyond my 1.3 million posts.

Impressive figures though for a beta test import.

47 hours - bet you went through some coke and pizza waiting for that to fininsh ... lol :)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Ah ah ... I hadn't realised someone had already imported 1mil+ posts - I'll probably abandon my attempt then as you've effectively proved an import beyond my 1.3 million posts.

Impressive figures though for a beta test import.

47 hours - bet you went through some coke and pizza waiting for that to fininsh ... lol :)

Cheers,

Everything works and as I mentioned before I will scrub the entire forum and reimport once beta 2 arrives. I am hoping that the time does come down by an order of magnitude.

Additionally I also installed mlx's sphinx search and that works a treat :)

Stats:
Damn... that will be even longer for me... Is your server slow or is it this slow for everyone?

BTW the imports goes through the ACP right? Aren't there faster ways of importing available with XF?

Damn... that will be even longer for me... Is your server slow or is it this slow for everyone?

BTW the imports goes through the ACP right? Aren't there faster ways of importing available with XF?

My servers are nowhere near loaded. The database server was sat waiting for data to be sent to it, the webserver was idling. CPU usage was minimal, disk io was non-existant. I sent some information to Mike/Kier in the hope that they may see some areas for improvement.

TBH I had a similar experience when moving from vB3.8.4 to IPB3.1.2 - 40 hours to transfer from one system to the other. There was a fair bit of work involved setting up permissions / forums etc. so it wasn't all dedicated to just the data move. It uses a similar web-based interface that moves blocks of table entries in batches.

I suppose the difficulty for developers is to find a small enough batch size so that it doesn't crash / time-out. With the disparity of OS's, CPU's, memory and configs I suppose they've got to err on the side of caution and make something that's stable, rather than lightning fast.

I wonder if there's a command line batch process to supplement the web based method?

Cheers,

I scrubbed my DB best i could before importing.
Pruned a bunch of spambot accounts down to under 5k.
Got my threads down to 55k.
And my posts down to 1.2m.

Import took about 6 hours.
I had tried it earlier in the week and that time it had taken way way longer. All night and some of the morning.
The difference this time was that i rebuilt every cache, and optimized/repaired the database before importing.

Forum was slooow.
So I then turned on APC and FCGI then rebuilt the cache.
Forum was fast after that.

Largest from the list seems to be http://www.bigcricket.com/community/

That board shows 2 members online now - and although I know there is a time difference in certain parts of the world, that type of load - no matter how many members or posts - doesn't tell us much!

We need to see boards (eventually) which have a couple hundred signed in and a couple hundred guests...with multiple forums, each being read and updated minute to minute.
IMHO, anyway.
I have faith that XF can handle this. However, real experience beats faith in matters of forums!

Top Bottom