1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big boards do not equal big revenue

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Robby, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Robby

Robby Well-Known Member

Very strange fact. I have searched for a lot of big forums but the revenue of big boards don't always equal big revenue if i may believe websitecalculators?
    Is there anybody that can tell me why?
    What are the secrets of good revenue with boards?

2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

There are many factors to consider also:
    • Kind of Visitors
    • Niche
    • Content
    • Ad Placement
    • Others
    And do not believe on website calculators :D

Crayo and Robby like this.
  3. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Being a big board alone isn't enough, you need user activity, though usually the 2 are linked.

Robby likes this.
  4. Crayo

Crayo Active Member

This.

There's so many factors which means big boards don't equal big revenue, but having a big board definitely increases your chances.

5. tajhay

tajhay Well-Known Member

what is the definition of a bigboard?

FredC likes this.
  6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Some would say more than 500k or 1million posts. Others would say more than 1 million unique monthly visitors. There is no fixed definition.

7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Where did you find a list of revenue earned by "big boards"?

8. Robby

Robby Well-Known Member

I didn't. I just ran a couple of dozans through websitecalculators. Different calculators that all say the same thijg. I know you can't rely completely on them but there are Some points that keep me thinking. Your board is on every calculator very profitable.:)

9. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Seems like all you need is a lot of active users and don't piss off google.

10. digitalpoint

You might as well just create a random number generator to decide how much a site makes. That's about as accurate an automated revenue calculator is.

For example, I just tried one you can actually validate against (publicly traded, so they report revenue).

Revenue for apple.com is $28,400,000 per year it says... actually they make $170,910,000,000 per year. So the calculator things it takes them a year to make what they earn in 1.4 minutes (24/7).

Point is, they are utter crap... and literally as accurate as a random number generator.

D.O.A., Dakis, surfsup and 1 other person like this.
  11. tajhay

tajhay Well-Known Member

JordanH likes this.
  12. digitalpoint

Lol... like I said... as useful as a random number generator. :)

tajhay likes this.
  13. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

He makes much more :X3: .

PS: I'll tell you there's absolutely no relation to what traffic you get and how much you earn.

Robby and tajhay like this.
  14. Robby

Robby Well-Known Member

Fact is that no many owners of big boards come out with there revenue what i understand ufcourse but it would be nice if more of them share their stories about what worked for them.
    So we little guys can dream.:)

15. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I don't think so.
    Still it has.

16. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Eh? Of course they're directly correlated.

This is from our adsense account. One line is earnings, one is pageviews.
    Screen Shot 2014-01-13 at 08.44.11.png

CyclingTribe likes this.
  17. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Well, I only meant that even the lower traffic websites can earn HUGE and there are lot of big websites that don't earn that well.

18. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Of course those calculators can't work, as mentioned there are many variables, even with the right formula you'd need to input all variables.

Maybe you can take an AdSense average in a particular industry, then calculate the average against the unique monthly visitors. Obviously there are many ways large boards can create revenue outside of AdSense.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  19. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of hard work ... over a five (or more) year period! ;)

Numenorean7 and DeltaHF like this.
  20. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member