Implemented better distinction to show if Categories have Sub-Categories

erich37

RM-Suggestion:

design intuitive User-interface for better distinction to indicate whether RM-Category contains Sub-Categories:

at Forums, we already have an indicator which shows whether a Forum contains Sub-Forums.

subforum-indicator.gif

I would suggest to do the same for the Resource-Manager, in order to have a better indication for the user to see whether Categories also contain Sub-Categories.

Of course this would have to be re-named towards "Sub-Categories".

subcats.gif

For example, this could be implemented similar to the hover-effect which opens a Drop-Down-Box, as we already see implemented at Forums:

subcat-dropdown.gif

Like the mockups below:
Or use some other simple hover-effect like e.g. here: www.alibaba.com or www.ebay.com or www.amazon.com

subcatsdrop1.gif

newsubcats1.gif

:)

Upvote 19
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
When you click on Add-On (say it shows there is 1 resource), doesn't it auto expand if you have any sub-categories?

I think the simpler look is better. If they are interested in that certain category, they click it, then they can sort by the subs. I don't see a reason to have it displayed.

Just my opinion....

I would like to have a fully functional navigation tree menu. There is no reason why it should be as static as it is now.
Hovering it should expand the tree to show subcategories. There are many nice jquery menus which are very user friendly.

I hope we never get the dropdown menu of death in the category subs. There quite frankly, hideous and need shooting with a musket.

Loathed them in subforums would loathe them even more being in a place they really don't belong in.

I hope we never get the dropdown menu of death in the category subs. There quite frankly, hideous and need shooting with a musket.

Loathed them in subforums would loathe them even more being in a place they really don't belong in.

I totally agree Shelley, however I would like the option of having them expanded (the same look as when the top category is clicked on) .. just mainly for ease of use for our members.

I totally agree Shelley, however I would like the option of having them expanded (the same look as when the top category is clicked on) .. just mainly for ease of use for our members.

Yeah, I'm sure there is a more discrete, somewhat more innovative way of doing it but the dropdown idea/suggestion isn't the way imo.

So what is the issue that you can't see at a glance that there's sub categories? Perhaps a plus icon before the text to show there are sub categories if that's the case. Not a great suggestion just throwing something out there.

any news or file edits examples how to expand the resource category tree ? I also want to acheive that it expands the two first steps in the category tree, not the whole tree (like my example belove), looks clean. And also an option to show the sidebar when browsing a resource. Also would great to have a global price field to fileless categories. If you are going to use the RM for a classified system only. Got my price slider live and working, but only on categories that is set to External purchase and download.

1.webp

2.webp

I am actually looking for a solution in order to be able to display a huge list of Categories and Sub-Categories.

- have some kind of "popup" which displays the "Sub-Categories" when you hover over the "Main Categories" at the RM-Homepage
- additionally have a separate page which is displaying a "Category List" (Category-List page)

Something like this example would be great:

http://www.alibaba.com/Products#anchor5

http://www.alibaba.com/Electronics_m9

Yes, Erich - like a "portal page" for the resources instead to see first all (realy all) resources from the cat and subcats. :)

Zum RM könnten wir uns ja auch mal in Muttersprache austauschen. ;)

RM-Suggestion:

design intuitive User-interface for better distinction to indicate whether RM-Category contains Sub-Categories:

at Forums, we already have an indicator which shows whether a Forum contains Sub-Forums.

View attachment 43025

I would suggest to do the same for the Resource-Manager, in order to have a better indication for the user to see whether Categories also contain Sub-Categories.

Of course this would have to be re-named towards "Sub-Categories".

View attachment 43024

For example, this could be implemented similar to the hover-effect which opens a Drop-Down-Box, as we already see implemented at Forums:

View attachment 43026

Like the mockups below:
Or use some other simple hover-effect like e.g. here: www.alibaba.com or www.ebay.com or www.amazon.com

View attachment 43177

View attachment 43172

if you want to see my suggestion in action at a live website, check this out:

https://xenmade.com/linkdirectory/?displaymode=grid

sidebarnav.webp

I am totally for improving Categories. If Resource Manager Categories would merge the good features with XF Media Gallery Categories it would all be good. Right now Resource Manager has the "item count" but no collapsible categories and XF Media Galleries have Collapsible Categories but no item count.... I think when both add-ons come from the same brand, they should have the same details.

I think the simpler look is better. If they are interested in that certain category, they click it, then they can sort by the subs. I don't see a reason to have it displayed.

Just my opinion....
The problem with this is if you click on a category in mobile view (in which the menu of categories is underneath not in the sidebar) xenforo jumps to the top of the page so you then lose the navigation and have to scroll right down to the bottom to see the subcategories.

Xenforo makes the awkward RM categories even less functional by having a massive root branch called Add-ons

upload_2016-12-6_1-36-56.webp

Because the categories are only 2 deep (ouch),

Add-ons needs to be a "title" in the menu and the addon subcategories should actually be in the root ... so they can be further divided.

xenforo.RM.categories.webp

Other interesting tidbits.
The Media Gallery category doesn't contain the media galleries !
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/media-gallery.38/?order=download_count
it is actually a "new application"
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/sonnb-xengallery-xenforo-gallery.2076/

Top Bottom