Better Blogs [Deleted]

There is no visual indicator to admins with blog entry viewing rights for all blogs that the blog a user has created is a private entry (viewable only to them) as a result, I have mistakenly commented two members private blog entries and they told me they thought their blog was private. I had to apologize for my mistake because I didn't know any better.

Please update this addon with some kind of visual indicator like a red tag/warning or something that will let us admins with viewing rights know when a blog entry is private or not.

Is it possible to place a link/banner on the sidebar of the homepage? For example I have the following on the sidebar: forum statistics, Gallery statistics. It would be nice to have a blog statistics.

your help is greatly appreciated!

Sorry, I don't know what that refers to
In some situations, a user can create a blog entry and then delete it, but on said user's blog profile it counts the deleted entry in the number of blog entries that user has made, despite the fact he deleted it. Could you create a task to recount these and fix them as they occur, or figure out what is causing this?

I mention the bug here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/better-blogs.36836/page-60#post-717867

That's clear and is not required ... but you can please explain, how I "run just the stepAttachments() step of the importer".

I did a short patch just for your unique situation.
Version 1.0.37b has the changes for the importAttachments (please note I just uploaded this version and it is not the one published on Saturday). You can download it here:

http://xfaddons.com/threads/1-0-37b-more-fixes-to-the-importer.896/

After that, just run the attachments step that is pending.

Improvement requests:
  1. in the recent comments widget: please remove 'In Entry:' This serves no real purpose and only clutters the page.
  2. in the recent comments widget:text formatting is not parsed
  3. in the recent comments widget:add a 'read more...' link at the end.
  4. new blog widget: add setting to show new blog entries instead of new blogs. New blogs are often empty, so showing this is a bad idea.
  5. blog home: remove the date blob.
  6. blog home: div.subtitle reads: 'Blog: Alfa1's blog by Alfa1 at 10:01 AM' It's not useful to list the author twice, nor to list the time without the date. Please change this to: 'Alfa1's blog, yesterday at 10:01 AM'.
  7. blog home: use blog image instead of avatar.
  8. blog home: Better placement of the blog image. It should be horizontally centered if kept the same size. Much better would be to increase the size to fill the height of the blog snippet(div.message). It would also be nice to have a setting to place the blog image right or left of the text or variate with the placement.
  9. blog home: 'continue reading' should be on the same line as the end of the text. It now wastes two lines that could be filled with blog text.
  10. Blog roll widget: please allow us to remove the 'B' icon. It looks bad.
  11. Categories widget: please make this widget a dynamic treeview. If you put hundreds of categories in it, it becomes very hard to navigate.
  12. Blog categories do not show in breadcrumb. They should.
Bugs:
  1. vbulletin blog category import still does not work correctly. The categories widget lists a different number than the category contains and the category itself shows a different number of blogs than it should. For example: one of my categories has over 200 entries in vbulletin. After import the categories widget shows 2 entries. The category shows 1 entry.
  2. custom styling still does not work. div.Titlecontainer and div.Datetime use wrong font & background colors.
  3. div.titlestrip and blog entries do not use custom style font.
  4. div.titlebar does not use properties of custom style
  5. tags do not use properties of custom style but are bright blue.

Last edited:
I did a short patch just for your unique situation.

I have downloaded this version, but i can't import only the attachments (source = vB 4.x). The import dialog starts with import categories and blogs and that will overwrite my actuell blogs. Or is that not so? I'm unsure ...

I have downloaded this version, but i can't import only the attachments (source = vB 4.x). The import dialog starts with import categories and blogs and that will overwrite my actuell blogs. Or is that not so? I'm unsure ...
Did you "complete" the import? If you do so, the import finishes and definitely you cannot import only attachments. Only if you left the attachments step untouched you would've been able to resume the import.

If you try to import again from the beginning it would duplicate the categories, blog entries and everything.

Did you "complete" the import?

Logically... that the attachments were not copied because of the bug I realized only later ... (we have many blogs with image links and other with attachments and I have checked the last blog entries after import, but but this are unfortunately entries with image links).

If you do so, the import finishes and definitely you cannot import only attachments.

I have a different view ... The blog entries have been copied with the original id, so that would be possible merge attachments -> blog entries without import the rest.

Improvement requests:
  1. in the recent comments widget: please remove 'In Entry:' This serves no real purpose and only clutters the page.
Without context, the comment does not mean that much, that is why it includes the entry in which the comment was published.

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 11.41.03 PM.webp

in the recent comments widget:text formatting is not parsed
That is by design. Else it could really destroy your layout. Imagine an image as BBCode, or other more advance BBCode like media, or tabs, or a table.
in the recent comments widget:add a 'read more...' link at the end.
There is no read more since you just click on the title of the entry. The link actually scrolls to the exact comment.

new blog widget: add setting to show new blog entries instead of new blogs. New blogs are often empty, so showing this is a bad idea.

You can use the "Entries" widget for that, ordering by publish date to accomplish that. It will give you the newest entries.

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 11.45.27 PM.webp

blog home: remove the date blob

You can remove that with CSS if you don't like it.

blog home: div.subtitle reads: 'Blog: Alfa1's blog by Alfa1 at 10:01 AM' It's not useful to list the author twice, nor to list the time without the date. Please change this to: 'Alfa1's blog, yesterday at 10:01 AM'.

That is because the blogs can have a title. Once users really start using the blog most likely they will give it a title. At that point you need the author's name since otherwise you loose that information.

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 11.48.13 PM.webp

It only lists the time because there is a date blob on the left to the title.

Top Bottom